El Norte?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I know the Harbor Master calls the shots, but what is the max NE wind speed before port closes?

ls less than 10knots or 5 or any wind from NE snd port is closed.

It is not the "Northeast" Wind. It is due to North to Northwest wind. If it is much to the east, it does not hurt the west side much. Windspeed is less important than direction. 12-15 kts from the west or north can, and should cause the port to close because of waves that cannot be safe with small ill equipped pangas. Frequently those 12-15 kt north winds may close the port to smaller boats (less than 40 ft) but it is very subjective on the perfectly defendable concern of the port captain. More than 15-20 knots from the north will usually close the port completely.

Almost any wind from the East is NOT going to close normal diving

AS you may know we do dive the east side in classic Nortes-- but just a few degrees of wind direction can make both sides closed. AS an example we dove the east side today with a small easterly component of the wind, but a little more east tomorrow we will not dive there.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

Wish I could have gotten on the boat. It’s been a long time. :tired:

6:30 AM, Wind is shifting but still getting water on to Melgar near the Aqua Safari pier. Probably not bad enough to cause an intial closure but also marginal enough to prossibly delay a port re-opening

There can be some great hunting on the SE side at Rastas and El Islote. This is normally a "Sporty" turn around the southern tip of the island (on normal dive days) and we normally would get really wet on the ride around the corner.
When the boats are already positioned over there it can be like glass while the normal west side is blown out. Tons of sea fans, gentle surge... Wonderful!!!
When diving the east side I always try and bring a special snack or two for the crew as I know they had to sleep over there overnight.... Hell, usually offer a snack everyday. These guys and gals work very hard everyday they are out taking us out. Sallye usually offers cookie's or chocolate and I almost always pack a PB and J or two. Take care of the captain and crew as they take care of you...

Wind has shifted, port is still closed. Still a few small white caps but nothing like the last two days. Below Tunich should be pretty sheltered. Now the port captain may screw up the ability to get boats out tomorrow. If he doesn't open the port this afternoon and waits until his standard 7:30 to 8:30 AM announcement it would conflict with the Iron man marina closure tomorrow

We did dive the east side again today (Saturday) but with the wind forecast to move further east, and the logistical complications of the Iron Man, we will not be diving the East tomorrow. Our capitans can sleep at home tonight!

Indeed, we expect the port to be open at some time Sunday and even if partially closed we have the 40 ft Falicity ready to go. The far south end may be very nice. We hope the Ironman doesn't screw all of us!

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

The far south end may be very nice. We hope the Ironman doesn't screw all of us!

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers
Do not really see the Ironman as the primary issue. Now allowing the village Idiot to occupy the Port Captains office for the last several years is becoming annoying.

You can get the rare opportunity to dive the now calm east side. It is really beautiful over there and we have prepositioned boats just for this purpose.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

We did dive the east side again today (Saturday) but with the wind forecast to move further east, and the logistical complications of the Iron Man, we will not be diving the East tomorrow. Our capitans can sleep at home tonight!

Indeed, we expect the port to be open at some time Sunday and even if partially closed we have the 40 ft Falicity ready to go. The far south end may be very nice. We hope the Ironman doesn't screw all of us!

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

Hey all,

I would've posted sooner, but I didn't take my laptop and just got back home to it. I'm going to do a bigger write-up tomorrow, but here's a quick synopsis.

We dove with Aldora and stayed at their Villa. Two days ago they taxied us over to Chen Rio where we waded out to a couple boats, 3 divers (including us) on one and 6 on the other. We went down to dive El Islote, which was really nice (saw some new things). The surf turned rough, so the boat ride back up just past Chen Rio, off the Mezcalito restaurant, was uncomfortable. The second dive was also good, and then we pulled back into Chen Rio and taxied back to the Villa. Yesterday we again left out of Chen Rio, this time with 6 divers on one boat, but went south around to Maracaibo (through the arch) and up to Columbia Deep. Those dives were absolutely phenomenal. We disembarked at Palancar and got taxied back up to the Villa. Last night and this morning they again went out of their way to make sure the Ironman stuff didn't prevent us from getting off the island on time.

Aldora shop and villa went out of their way to make sure we got good dives, without any extra charges. We were both very impressed and will be back.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom