El Norte?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A Norte shut down the port this afternoon, just before my fourth dive and final dive of this trip. I'm guessing the port won't be open tomorrow , either. Good luck to those folks diving on Thursday and beyond. The wind forecast looks better on Thursday.

A Norte shut down the port this afternoon, just before my fourth dive and final dive of this trip. I'm guessing the port won't be open tomorrow , either. Good luck to those folks diving on Thursday and beyond. The wind forecast looks better on Thursday.
What were the actual conditions like? Was it white capping and was there spray / water on Melgar between Puerto Langosta and the ferry pier?

Not seeing any condition to support a closure tomorrow by AM the winds should be shifting east.
upload_2018-11-27_20-10-7.png

What were the actual conditions like? Was it white capping and was there spray / water on Melgar between Puerto Langosta and the ferry pier?

There are white caps. I'm not downtown. Streets were flooded by the carnival pier, but that was just due to rain. The rain is gone now. Just high, gusty winds.

Another rule of thumb - just because it closed this afternoon does not mean it will be closed tomorrow - and never judge what conditions will be like the following day based on what it's like now (unless forecast is overwhelmingly bad) - these things stop as fast as they come in.and the forecast if it holds true, does not warrant a port closure tomorrow, especially after 9am. There is enough of an easterly direction to make that 14knot wind a non event.

So as I tell ALL of my divers, we won't know until we wake up tomorrow. However, since the port is closed now, we DO have to wait for the official word that it's open before we can go out.

So Saturday afternoon i looked at wind guru and it looked fine for this week so O booked a short trip after seeing some cheap flights. Then Sunday AM wind guru was showing the front. My plan is to dive Wednesday through Friday. After stepping off the ferry this evening the north wind is howling. I did not see it lapping over Melgar but there are a lot of puddles on the sidewalk. Not optimistic about the morning but hopefully the eveining will be good.

What time was the port closed and/or were you advised? Or were you already on a boat?

What's the procedure when the harbor master closes the ports while water sport craft are out?

I have been out a couple times on two tanks and the port was closed while we were on the first dive, we just had to cancel the second dives.

I have been out a couple times on two tanks and the port was closed while we were on the first dive, we just had to cancel the second dives.
So basically, all boats return to port as soon as all divers are aboard. I take it there is a broadcast then on some marine band? It's oft lamented here that there is no automated / online means to determine if the port is open or closed, but it would seem like one might be able to monitor the appropriate frequency, especially if the closure announcement is repeated periodically. I wonder if there is also a broadcast when the port is closed before boats go out in the morning?

Back
Top Bottom