Enhanced air...does it help fatigue?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What remains essential is that divers (especially new divers) understand there ARE repercussions to fast ascents, saw-tooth profiles, limited stops and aggressive, multi-day repetitive diving. Those repercussions extend beyond the simplistic notion of 'the bends' and should be thought applicable to every diver on every dive... Luckily, there are also safeguards; ascent strategies, extended stops and the use of nitrox.

This pretty much sums up the relevance argument.

---------- Post added December 15th, 2015 at 08:58 AM ----------

New divers are the ones highly likely to suffer depression stress...

Yes, there's some science and medicine debated here... But it's a "new divers" forum, not "dumb divers"...

Exactly, there's nothing in this thread that's inappropriate for new divers, unless you're worried about hurting their tiny brains...:shakehead:

I am a long time diver and while diving my first time on Nitrox in Coron, Palawan I noticed other divers younger than myself and dive buddy were completely exhausted and sleeping on deck, while we were fully alert. I dive on Nitrox whenever I can and come out feeling way better than on normal air.

Ya. Youth=more sex and drink. That'll do it to you. Your conclusions are kinda unscientific too btw. :wink:

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

While this part of the forum is for new divers, please post spin off questions or discussion related to more advanced topics here

Andy, for starters there is a question for you about deco gases.

But seriously folks, I am one who believes it helps when you are doing multiple dive days, as you would do on a week on a liveaboard. The laughable studies that on this topic compared how people felt (totally subjective) after a couple easy dives, and decided that there was no difference. If you are doing a couple relatively easy dives in a dive day, I am sure you would not notice a difference.

^^this^^.

And then, without understanding the methods and parameters of the studies, it becomes gospel: "studies show that...."

---------- Post added December 16th, 2015 at 10:21 PM ----------

This is true, of course; for a given dive of X depth and Y time, the diver absorbs less nitrogen using nitrox compared to air.

If the dive parameters were different, i.e. a given dive of X depth, but time was NDL-5 min, then the nitrogen absorption would be equal.

That, however, only covers one issue - the amount of nitrogen absorbed. On-gassing isn't the problem. Off-gassing is the problem.

Simplistically, decompression stress is a product of 3 factors;

1. The amount of nitrogen absorbed (volume on-gassing).
2. The amount of nitrogen released (volume off-gassing).
3. The efficiency of nitrogen release (bubble formation).

It is wrong to consider nitrox use and decompression stress only in relation to #1, but ignore #2 and #3.

The amount of nitrogen released (#2) is primarily effected by the time taken to ascend to the surface. On no-stop (NDL) dives, our tables or computers keep us within saturation parameters that allow sufficient nitrogen to be released providing a maximum ascent speed limit is not broken. That is, sufficient nitrogen release to prevent Decompression Sickness (DCS)...i.e. ambulances, hospitals, calls to DAN and chamber rides... That is all.

Historically, the calculations used by our decompression tools were formulated to reduce incidence of decompression sickness, not decompression stress.

The calculations were refined over time against a statistical sample of dives, of which X didn't result in DCS and Y did result in DCS. Once 'Y' was within reasonably acceptable statistical parameters, they were deemed 'safe'. Only more recently did doppler ultrasound and 'bubble scoring' (counting bubble frequency and size inside test divers) become a refinement to these calculations. this led to more conservative dives and also to strategies like deep stops.

In the light of this, let's consider factor #3.... the 'efficiency' of nitrogen release. Think back on how we are taught to ascend from dives.

Most of us are taught to ascend directly to the surface at a single speed no faster than 18m/60ft (PADI) or 9m/30ft (the rest) per min. We are recommended to complete a single 'safety' stop at 5m/15ft for 3min.... simplistic, but it helps provide a cushion against decompression sickness.

If we stay within those parameters and don't end up in a recompression chamber it is satisfactory. If do end up in a chamber, assuming no other causal factors, then it is deemed 'non-blameworthy' or 'unattributed' DCS.

The incidence of divers suffering post-dive lethargy, malaise, fatigue, sleepiness and reduced vitality is totally ignored.

However, not everyone teaches so simplistically. Some agencies/instructors provide more training and, consequently, deem their students more capable of achieving more complex and refined ascent strategies. They specify varying ascent speeds at different phases of the ascent, multiple 'safety' stops..... even the use of optimal ascent gasses.

For instance; ANDI teaches multiple 'safety' stops at 9m/30ft (1 min), 6m/20ft (2 min) and 3m/10ft (2 min). Ascent speeds are 9m per min until 9m, then 3m per min thereafter. For advanced recreational (i.e. 'deep') divers, they also teach the use of 50% nitrox as an ascent gas for safety and 'conservatism'.

Example:

View attachment 221113

These refinements go well beyond simply 'avoiding DCS'. They can be considered from two perspectives. Firstly, they provide a much wider safety margin against clinical DCS incidence. Secondly, and important for this discussion, they dramatically reduce microbubble incidence; lowering decompression stress. The result: divers aren't unnaturally fatigued post-dive!

So... back to the original issue... the benefits of nitrox.

Nitrox is beneficial for TWO reasons. We are generally only taught one of them.

We know that using nitrox reduces nitrogen absorption compared to air. This can be used to allow either longer no-stop (NDL) dives or to achieve a more conservative dive (less nitrogen absorption) given identical depth/time parameters.

What we aren't generally educated about (at least, until technical diving levels) is that nitrox also maximizes the efficiency of our off-gassing. It 'accelerates' our decompression. It helps remove nitrogen from our bodies at a faster rate. There's no magical barrier between recreational 'nitrox' and technical 'deco gasses'. Simply put, the higher the % O2, the more we accelerate the process of expelling nitrogen from our bodies. Nitrox 32% is higher than Nitrox 21% (air).

Here is a simplistic table showing off-gassing efficiency ratios:

View attachment 221122

We can see that the ratios for 'recreational nitrox' mixes compared to air:

EANx32 is 16% more efficient in off-gassing nitrogen.
EANx36 is 21% more efficient in off-gassing nitrogen.
EANx40 is 26% more efficient in off-gassing nitrogen.

Just because we don't 'gas switch' onto a different 'deco gas' doesn't mean that the nitrox we breathed throughout the dive is less efficient in accelerating off-gassing.

So.... we can see that for a given ascent and safety stop, nitrox will also remove more nitrogen than air does.

Using nitrox isn't just about absorbing less nitrogen for a given time/depth; it is also about releasing more nitrogen for a given ascent time/speed.

Combined with slower ascent speeds and increased time/frequency of ascent stops, this plays a major role in eradicating nitrogen microbubbles from the body. It lowers decompression stress - reducing (or preventing) the symptoms of post-dive fatigue, sleepiness and lethargy

Back to my initial point.... considering all three factors effecting decompression stress; nitrox use can provide a significant benefit in all three aspects.

Of course, you'd only notice that benefit if you'd otherwise subject yourself to decompression stress. If you don't, then you won't.

^^this^^

I normally feel more energy after a nitrox dive than an air dive however there have been a few dives where the sleepy monster found me and a beer and a nap was the best way to finish the afternoon.

O2 does help to fix hangovers so there might be something to nitrox.

This thread should be a sticky. There is lots here for new divers!

Hello,

I also was "wiped out" after a 2 dive morning and needed a nap after diving. We became Nitrox divers and I don't have the same fatigue, I don't need the nap anymore and in fact feel energized when we surface.

I am new to diving, 12 dives total.

I took a trip to Key Largo recently and planned on doing a two tank trip in the morning and a two tank trip in the afternoon for the three days that I was there. At the end of the first day, though, I was so wiped out that I didn't even want a beer (very rare for me). I only did the morning trips for the next two days and was just fine. Though I enjoyed myself I was a bit disappointed because one of my goals was to get in as many dives as possible to build confidence and experience.

I read somewhere that using enhanced air can lower the fatigue felt at the end of a dive. I wonder if I would have been able to handle the four dives in one day if I had been using nitrox?

Some background. I am almost 65, a bit overweight, but in reasonably good condition...excercise bike three times a week...and otherwise in good health except for a physical disability that doesn't affect my ability to swim (but the bike is the only good way for me to get aerobic excercise). Maybe just putting in more time at the gym would be the answer. Opinions?
Hi there is definitely a lack of evidence on this subject

From my own experience of teaching more mature students they often state that the best thing about nitrox is they "are not tired" after a dive. This is probably due to the reduced level of nitrogen on board after the dive! i know from past expirences making very deep dives on air for a long time im ready for bed before i can get to it.

But anyway nitrox used corectly is benifical to all especially people in the higher risk groups regarding decompression sickness ie overwheight, older age, professional diver doing many dives a day, cold water diving ect as planning a dive to say 30m could be calnculated as perhaps a 18-22 m dive (don't have rebels with me to give a exact example) therefore taking a lot less nitrogen on board.

Before starting on a course

Look to where you will be diving and if they have nitrox available

Look to the depths you are diving - if you will be on top of a coral reef in 5-6m of water it won't really be beneficial I guess it starts to be benerfical after warm

're energy saving nitrox is only part of the story

Good buoyancy, wise experience of conditions(currents waves ect), relaxing at the surface before you decend (if you get out of breath before you go down it is almost impossible to recover while you swim think of it like running getting out of breath then walking very fast you will still be out of breath)

To get your nitrox certification is easy you can take it online which covers about 90% of the course then you will need to find a local dive shop or even the place where you plan to dive next on nitrox there you will analyse and plan 2 simulated dives which should take about 20-30 mins (you don't even need to get wet to pass the course) but you can dive if you want i guess that's the idea of it.

Hope this helps talk again soon ��

Sent from my SM-J700H using Tapatalk

---------- Post added January 8th, 2016 at 10:44 AM ----------

I normally feel more energy after a nitrox dive than an air dive however there have been a few dives where the sleepy monster found me and a beer and a nap was the best way to finish the afternoon.

O2 does help to fix hangovers so there might be something to nitrox.
That can happen if you use a richer gas on the first dive then a weaker or air on the second not 100% sure why tho.

Sent from my SM-J700H using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom