Equipment Testing question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mrbeast1414

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey guys,

I am scheduled to go on a few dives this Sunday and I always try to check my equipment before any dive. Usually I just stop by my LDS and they let me jump in the pool (This is special because I am under 18 and there is no lifeguard). I just do this because I like to think I am being responsible and safe :). Anyways, my LDS is draining their pool and I won't be able to jump in before the dives. Is their anyway to personally check gear without going to and LDS?

Many thanks

Nick

I just test everything before entering the water--make sure it all works. Then in the water I naturally check the LPI by letting it out to descend. I'm already breathing from the reg most times whill donning the fins. I admire your diligence using the pool to check before each dive, but then don't you check it at the dive site as well (in case something went wrong after the pool)? The pool stop seems to just be an extra check that probably isn't necessary.

Hey guys,

I am scheduled to go on a few dives this Sunday and I always try to check my equipment before any dive. Usually I just stop by my LDS and they let me jump in the pool (This is special because I am under 18 and there is no lifeguard). I just do this because I like to think I am being responsible and safe :). Anyways, my LDS is draining their pool and I won't be able to jump in before the dives. Is their anyway to personally check gear without going to and LDS?

Many thanks

Nick

For regulators, here is a good checklist:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/regulators/346813-regulator-inspection-checklist-rev-7-a.html

For most other equipment, a good visual inspection is always a good idea. Look especially closely at connection points (where regulator hoses connect, mouthpiece-to-regulator, corrugated inflator hose connections, etc.); check straps, buckles, etc.

Make sure all screw-on fittings are tight, these include hoses (you can check for tightness by trying to unscrew them by hand... you should not be able to); also check the dump valve(s) on your BC for tightness (these you can unscrew by hand with a little effort, just make sure they are good and snug). Inspect to make sure all zip ties are present, tight, and in good shape (the regulator mouthpiece is held on by a zip tie, and usually the corrugated inflator hose). Look for tears or cracks in regulator mouthpieces, mask skirts and straps, fin straps.

Orally inflate your BC, and make sure all dump valve operate properly; and that the BC holds air.

You really should not need a pool to inspect and test most of your gear.

Best wishes.

FINAL NOTE: While it is important that all fittings and connections are properly tightened so that nothing "falls off", OVER-TIGHTENING is one of the leading causes of gear damage and failure. On almost all scuba gear "snug enough" so that it can't come undone accidently is usually correct.... really, REALLY tight usually means way TOO tight.

I just test everything before entering the water--make sure it all works. Then in the water I naturally check the LPI by letting it out to descend. I'm already breathing from the reg most times whill donning the fins. I admire your diligence using the pool to check before each dive, but then don't you check it at the dive site as well (in case something went wrong after the pool)? The pool stop seems to just be an extra check that probably isn't necessary.

Of course I check before entering the water. The basic BWRAF is done and most is inspected subconsciously; checking bcd's holding air, reg breathing smooth, octo functioning, no leaks, etc. But, I don't know, maybe it's a just ease of mind thing to test equipment that will be in water in water, you know what I mean? But also the fact that the equipment has been used, refurbished, but used, is a source of concern....

anyways, I just don't want to get to the ocean and find out some equipment is malfunctioning and waste a whole dives, which, as a 15 year old who is the only one in the family certified and even knows what a BCD is, are VERY hard to come by :)

You can do a bubblecheck on stuff with soapy water. You can also bathtub stuff. I guess you'd need a tank for a lot of that stuff. I also carry an insane save-a-dive kit.

No chance getting the units certified?

Obviously, the best solution is to dive enough that you don't feel the need to do equipment checks before every dive like this. The dive last week becomes the check for the dive this week, with only basic checking for loose hoses and things in between.

This also helps keep your number one dive tool, your brain and skills, up to date and functioning correctly.

However, assuming that is not possible, having a tank helps a lot. Hook everything up and turn it on. Leaks might be heard, but submerging the unit in a bathtub isn't a bad idea. Breathe off things. If you have no tank, then just visually inspect the unit. Make sure nothing is so loose it turns in your hand, and no hoses are cracked. Hose protectors can hide damage, I find it best to leave them off. Check mouthpieces to make sure they are in one piece with no holes.

When I arrive at a site, I assemble my gear, and turn on the tank, then turn the tank back off. I want the system "charged" so if a leak is there, it will show up. However, I don't want to leave the tank on, incase of some huge leak or problem that appears, and begins venting air rapidly, while I'm not by the tank.

Of course, if in doubt, take the gear in for service. It's your life, don't mess around with it.

I'm going to agree with TMHeimer. You don't need to check it at the pool. You need to check the gear at the dive site. I'll add that you want to check your buddy's gear and him your gear once you are all suited up.

One good reason to go to the pool is if you just changed your configuration or had things serviced. I like to use the pool to see if my buoyancy has changed with new gear or make sure the service tech wasn't having an off day. Nothing stinks more than going on a dive and finding out the tech missed a spring or set the regulator wrong. The further you have to travel for a dive, the more important to check it after a service.

I think if you're renting gear offsite you should check that gear before you leave that site.
IE check your rental gear at the LDS and then check your gear at the dive site.

But TMHeimer's right. You don't need the pool. You can dry test everything and it should be fine. I do it all the time.

Connect everything to the tank as if you're diving.
- Check that the BC's dump valves auto-purges at the over inflate and that they stop purging after a while.
- make sure dumps can be purged manually
- Check for hissing out any valve or connection point.
- breath on every reg and purge every reg; smell your air from the tank you will be using
- Turn on computer
- make sure gauges work
- make sure compass spins freely
- all buckles are in working order

When you're at the dive site, check again. And then when you hit the water check to make sure nothing electronic has flooded (ie. computer)

Once you descend and have a moment, make sure all electronics still work.

I just put my tank on the kitchen counter, hook up my regs and breathe through them. If they work, good to go.

Back
Top Bottom