Explain this term often used in DIR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

well, i used to teach remedial reading and writing at UF ... i had some students make "farm animal stupid" look like sheer genius

headhunter:
Thanks Kendall and Sparticlebrain (what does that mean, anyway) for helping us correct a little slice of history!
Christian

I walked around all day today calling my dog Sparticlebrane. His name is Max.

SparticleBrane:
When I was in high school my senior year, I would occasionally go to "Xboxathons" at a friend's house--hours and hours of 16 guys playing capture the flag for Halo. I wasn't creative enough to come up with a good Halo name other than "Charles".
A while later I was watching a special on TV about String Theory. From what I got out of the program, a Sparticle is essentially the opposite of a particle. (someone correct me if I'm wrong). A Brane, short for "membrane" is supposedly what our universe vibrates and exists on. That's as best I can remember since I saw the program probably 4 years ago. :11: Most of that is probably wrong. :rolleyes:

"Sparticle" quickly became my Halo name, and then when Halo 2 came out (allowing for longer screen names), it was upgraded to "SparticleBrane".

Doesn't mean anything in particular...just two random words I put together. :)

Sparticles are also particles. They're particles which are predicted to exist in supersymmetry theories and they mathematically pair up with 'normal' particles like quarks, electrons, photons, etc. The supersymmetric fermions (spin-1/2) particles get a 's-' prefix so they're squarks and selectrons, the supersymmetric bosons (integral spin) particles get an '-ino' suffix instead of an '-on', so you get a photino, gluino, etc. There's good theoretical reason to believe in their existance apart from string theory because electroweak unification has been very successful in uniting the electromagnetic and weak forces, and supersymmetry is just an extension of those theories uniting the electroweak theory with the strong force. Sparticles also aren't even 'opposite' to particles in the sense that matter and antimatter are 'opposites' and annihilate each other (there should also be anti-sparticles, btw).

Branes are just a generalization of strings. Strings are 1-branes. A 2-brane would be a 2-dimensional fundamental object more like a piece of paper...

I have a nomination for the antonym of "farm animal stupid". It's "lamont". :D

In the Cycling forum the analogous term to being a stroke is being a "Fred".

Riding with your i-pod ear buds in is analogous to solo diving. They fight about it every day.....everybody finally settles down and some new guy posts a picture of how he has mounted his i-pod to the handlebars...and everybody goes nuts all over again.

lamont:
Sparticles are also particles. They're particles which are predicted to exist in supersymmetry theories and they mathematically pair up with 'normal' particles like quarks, electrons, photons, etc. The supersymmetric fermions (spin-1/2) particles get a 's-' prefix so they're squarks and selectrions, the supersymmetric bosons (integral spin) particles get an '-ino' suffix instead of an '-on', so you get a photino, gluino, etc. There's good theoretical reason to believe in their existance apart from string theory because electroweak unification has been very successful in uniting the electromagnetic and weak forces, and supersymmetry is just an extension of those theories uniting the electroweak theory with the strong force. Sparticles also aren't even 'opposite' to particles in the sense that matter and antimatter are 'opposites' and annihilate each other (there should also be anti-sparticles, btw).

Branes are just a generalization of strings. Strings are 1-branes. A 2-brane would be a 2-dimensional fundamental object more like a piece of paper...
And THIS, ladies and gentlemen, is why I am in Electrical Engineering, NOT theoretical physics. :D
In my defense I probably saw that show 4 years ago. :mooner:

edit: Is lamont secretly Brian Greene?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom