Explain this term often used in DIR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

According to George it was Parker Turner who first used the term in reference to people who were trying to get involved with WKPP when he, Turner, not Irvine, was running WKPP. George used it on the net.

I'm going to respectfully disagree with people who said that GI3 came up with the term "stroke." Apparently his cave instructor, Parker Turner, had already come up with it before George even took a cave course...

From his lecture to the BAUE:
So I went to Parker Turner for the cave. Turner was one of those guys that make me look like Jarrod Jablonski — a relatively nice guy. He'd get right up to you with his finger in your face and say: "That's stroke ****."

Well.....crap.....I guess you posted that while I was trying to find it...*shakes fist*

Damn, Kendall and Sparticle beat me to it.
I recall reading an old post in the Gavin archives where George had mentioned that when he was on his way to meet Parker for the first time, he heard someone yelling "You better not be bringing any of that stroke s..." and that was his first introduction to Parker Turner.

SparticleBrane:
Well.....crap.....I guess you posted that while I was trying to find it...*shakes fist*

Easy easy Sparti! Does the above behavior mean Sparki is turning into a stroke or just displaying tendencies??? LOL:rofl3:

It means I'm irked at myself for not clicking on page 2 and seeing his post. :wink:

SparticleBrane:
It means I'm irked at myself for not clicking on page 2 and seeing his post. :wink:

Sounds like a "stroke" to me!! Solving a problem that has already been solved!:rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3:

I do love you Sparti, but :no :no :no I just can't resist giving you a hard time on this one!!:D For some reason this just really cracks me up and has got me laughing out loud this morning!:wink:

Well...:mooner: :mooner: on you. :D :eyebrow:

leah:
For some reason this just really cracks me up and has got me laughing out loud this morning!:wink:

Glad to see I'm good for something. :wink:

Diver Dennis:
It has been used as a derogatory term as well. )

The term stroke has different connotations depending when you came along. Most people are going to define this term as an unsafe diver,but going back to the old Caver's list and Tech list this term has deeper emotional meaning that was very virulent and deragatory,that was analagous to using the "n" word. Use of this word on these lists almost lead to a fist fight at DEMA by the person who popularized it. Fortunately the word stroke is now just another chapter in diving,and doesn't have the meaning it used to.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom