Fin Choice for Wreck Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

soltari675

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am just curious. I currently use the Aeris Velocity fins. I love them, however they are a fairly large fin. I find that when I turn in a smaller environment like a cave, or inside a wreck, I have to be very careful otherwise the tips of my fins will touch something and stir up silt. I am not looking for a split fin vs paddle fin debate. I am just curious how many wreck divers use shorter fins for the same reason or is it just something that takes practice?

I use Force Fins Pro. Very short, good control and plenty sufficient propulsion with doubles & stages. Most of serious wreck divers I know use Scubapro Jet Fins or OMS Slipstreams.

Spring straps are an important consideration, because of entanglement issues, esp when using guidelines in low viz and cramped confines.

Some fins are more suitable than others (see above), but whatever you use... it takes a lot of practice.

I normally utilise the appropriate prosthetics
in order to use a fin of choice in confinements

Last edited:
Medium size SP Jetfins with spring-straps for Tech/Wreck Diving, also for warm water tropics, with a diveskin/1mm wetsuit and 2mm hooded vest, with no extra weight needed other than a 1kg Aluminum Backplate.

I like the durability of the heavy rubber jetfins, which can handle the abuse of wreck penetration (i.e. "Spider-Man" or "Chimney Climb" technique in a narrow corridor where you hold station with your fins against the walls while doing line work etc); and they trim out perfectly for a set of double 11L cylinders (both backmount & sidemount) w/ attached deco bottles.

Working quite well here in Chuuk Lagoon right now. . .:wink:

I do use spring straps. They won't break and I can use my fins with my wetsuit boots or drysuit rockboots. Do you have any issues with shorter fins with things like current? Because you have to get down to a wreck... With mine I know when I seriously kick hard, I will move, current or not. I don't want to get into a situation that the equipment can't handle if that makes sense. I am liking the idea of a shorter fin for wrecks. Still love my current ones for most other stuff. Though I do plan to do a cavern cert and would likely use short ones for that too.

Short paddle fins like SP jets

I have been using the turtle fin with spring heels for years, but have recently switched to the Hollis F1.

I have been using the turtle fin with spring heels for years, but have recently switched to the Hollis F1.

What made you switch?

How do they perform for wreck (penetration) specific taskings?

I have been looking to make the switch as I find the turtles to be a bit soft and I wanted something a little stiffer. I have a very wide foot with a high instep, so fit has been a bit tough. I really liked the performance of the Dive Rite fin, but the fin pocket was not high enough, so it was uncomfortable. The Hollis offered a nice fit, blade much stiffer than the turtles and so far I am very happy with their performance. I have only dove them in open water environments; all skills like frog kick, helicopter and backdown went well. They are a little longer than the turtles, so I do have some minor concerns about performance once I get inside. I may get out on Dec. 17, but the waters off jersey are starting to turn, so most likely an inshore digging wreck.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom