"fin foot"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ront

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
had a student complain of foot pain, swelling, and itching -- research on DAN led to "fin foot" -- this is the first I've heard of this and was curious if anyone had additional info?

thanks, Ron

had a student complain of foot pain, swelling, and itching -- research on DAN led to "fin foot" -- this is the first I've heard of this and was curious if anyone had additional info?

thanks, Ron
This probly would have worked better in Dive Medicine forum - not a decompression issue at all, is it?
From DAN...
Diving Medicine FAQs
Foot Pain After Diving

Q: I'm a fairly new diver. I went diving for the first time a few days ago after my certification classes. When I got home, my feet were really sore and tender. It hurt to walk across the floor. Is this some sort of reaction?

A: The hyperemic condition you've described classically portrays a condition called ‘fin foot’. DAN receives a number of calls from divers, especially new ones, with new equipment who sometimes dive in very rough conditions. The complaints include redness, swelling and occasionally ‘bruising’ around the toes that may be very tender. In some cases walking may be difficult. Symptoms usually resolve in one to two days without treatment, but may require medical evaluation.

Improper finning techniques and tight or improperly fitted booties and fins will compression of the soft tissues of the foot and toes causing the problem. Symptoms may begin to occur in hours or over the course of 24 to 48 hours.

Agree with DD, but while we are here:

First, make sure that your student is not doing something that would cause local "suit squeeze." Other than that, when a customer buys a fin, they should have their booties with them to ensure proper fit. Finally, a fin, such as the Mares Avanti, which has the bottom of the foot pocket lending support all the way up to the heel could be a solution.

I have to tell this story. A customer phones in to the shop after a week of diving in the Bay Islands and complains that her new fins hurt her feet. I request she come in (with her booties) so we can figure out what might be the problem. She does so and when I removed the hard plastic packing slips from the foot pockets I noticed a look on her face that explained it all. She picked up her fins and "beat feet" out of the shop.

c

My gf is currently experiencing this, it sets in the day after diving. Is the cure as simple as finding better fitting boots and fins?

My gf is currently experiencing this, it sets in the day after diving. Is the cure as simple as finding better fitting boots and fins?
Maybe. Did you see couv's post? Hehe, be sure the hard inserts are out. I've never had the problem, even when I forgot to change out of my $4 Walmart beach shoes.

One other possibility might be related to the shoes she wears before and after diving. Good support is helpful; flip flops are not.

If you'd like more information the Medical forum would be best I think.

Thanks. I'll wait till tomorrow to post. No a whole lot of traffic this time of night

It's 3:30pm in the Philippines and Hong Kong, but ok.

Back
Top Bottom