Fin for a diver with bad knee?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

they do not put near the pressure on my left knee as paddle fins. In particular, I like the SP Twin Jets (in black).

And find that ANY fin will do. It's really a matter of personal preference as to which type of fin you like.

My adivce: test drive some & see how your knee feels after you dive.

FYI: I have used: Wenokas, Plana Avanti Quattros, Plana Avantis, USD Blades and Dacor Tigers. I tried some Scubapro split fins, but found them pretty much useless.

My current fins (past 3 years or so) are the Tigers.

Just my $0.02's worth,

~SubMariner~

Perhaps trying to modify the kick would help? I guess it would depend on what kind of "bad knee" you have and what motions cause discomfort... from there you could probably sift through the different types of fins out there and their mechanical properties which may maximize your stroke/minimize discomfort. I'm curious if anyone has ever worn a brace in the water... :scratch:

I hear split fins are useless for propulsion, but there'd be less reactive torque on your knee at least... well, that's my $0.02 CDN :wink: I hope something works out for you!!

move me just fine... you have to kick faster, not harder hence the lighter load on the knee.

trash_collector:
Which fin type would be better suited for a diver with one very bad knee? Thanks.

TC

I started diving because of a very bad knee. Finning is one thing that keeps the muscles around the knee strong and has helped me a lot. I've had Tusa fins and Cressi fins and now I have quattros. None of them have bothered my knee but I like the quattros the best. I am buying a pair of Jet fins now because I am doing the frog kick more because of the type of diving I am doing. I can't say how they will be yet but I figure they will strengthen my muscles even more which will make the joint more stable. db

Diverdeb001
I'll be darned I never thought of that.
My knees suck so bad (left one in particular) from being hyperextended more than once.
When I first started diving it wasn't a pleasure to fin.
I think diving must have actually helped.
I currently use Jets and love them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom