Fin suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kwajsmile

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
I am getting ready to take the open water cert class but, am having a hard time finding fins that are comfortable. My dive shop has a good variety; however, the fins either smoosh my toes or rub up against my ankle anteriorly. I've purchased Mares Classic dive boots and as I'm just getting started I don't know if there are a particular brand and or type of fin that would combine well with them for a comfortable dive experience. I am a woman with narrow feet and kind of high arches. My first pair of boots did not fit snug and paired with the Aqualung fins I originally bought and tried to snorkel with, my legs and feet hurt and I couldn't get any propulsion. Are there fins made for skinny female feet? Any advice appreciated!

A lot of discomfort with fins can be corrected with technique. Imagine skipping in a field. That's the motion you want to fin in. Keep your knees & ankles fluid and firm; not rigid/locked and not floppy/loose.
If your discomfort with the fins comes only when you start kicking, most likely it's not the fin, it's your kicking technique.

Most common mistake is to kick like you're climbing stairs or riding a bicycle. That kick technique does not propel you using the fins, it propels you by displacing water which you can do without fins. Obviously you lose out any speed & enegery efficiency the fins could give you.
Bicycle kicking also smooshes your toes into the fins with each kick, which causes discomfort.

You want to kick less and glide more. Kick one foot with authority and let yourself glide a small bit, then kick the other leg.
It's quite the opposite pattern of what you see in olympic swimming.

There is no magical answer to your question. Fins & Masks are a very personal preference thing and this question is better answered in person by your instructor or mentors.

Right now all I can advise is find a bootie that fits your feet snug and doesn't let your feet slide a lot when wet.
Tighten your fin straps snug (not as tight as you'd probably think). And finally ask your instructor to critique your finning.

I was really glad to have waited about 80 dives before buying most of my gear. I had a chance to try out the different brands as I rented, or heard from other divers and saw what they bought. I agree, that getting your technique down will change you perspective on fins too. It might be worth waiting and use the rental gear for now... get to know whats out there without the buyers remorse.

I have skinny female feet! I use scubapro jetfins in warm water and turtle fins with my drysuit and they are great. They are similar fins, I just needed two different sizes. BUT I would actually try out your aqualung fins that you bought again when you dive. Fins that are good for diving are not always good for snorkeling. I've snorkeled in my jetfins because that's all I bring with me on vacation and they are terrible for it. So try out the fins you have in the pool with scuba gear and if you don't like them then rent a few pairs to see what works for you. Spring straps on whatever fins you end up with are good too, then you don't have to adjust the straps and I find they are easier to put on and take off

I am getting ready to take the open water cert class but, am having a hard time finding fins that are comfortable. My dive shop has a good variety; however, the fins either smoosh my toes or rub up against my ankle anteriorly. I've purchased Mares Classic dive boots and as I'm just getting started I don't know if there are a particular brand and or type of fin that would combine well with them for a comfortable dive experience. I am a woman with narrow feet and kind of high arches. My first pair of boots did not fit snug and paired with the Aqualung fins I originally bought and tried to snorkel with, my legs and feet hurt and I couldn't get any propulsion. Are there fins made for skinny female feet? Any advice appreciated!

I don't think arches really matter since you aren't walking.

The general impression I get when I read your post is that you are having both a fitting problem and a technique problem. I'm not sure I can help you with either over the internet but I would like to bring to your attention that technique is "a thing". Don't ignore it.

You will be able to fix your fitting problem at some point. Technique, on the other hand, is something that you can't solve by buying gear. My guess, having read what you wrote, is that you probably need a bit of both.

R..

My vote for Scubapro jets or Hollis F1s. I would like to try Turtles too.

A lot of discomfort with fins can be corrected with technique. Imagine skipping in a field. That's the motion you want to fin in. Keep your knees & ankles fluid and firm; not rigid/locked and not floppy/loose.
If your discomfort with the fins comes only when you start kicking, most likely it's not the fin, it's your kicking technique.

Most common mistake is to kick like you're climbing stairs or riding a bicycle. That kick technique does not propel you using the fins, it propels you by displacing water which you can do without fins. Obviously you lose out any speed & enegery efficiency the fins could give you.
Bicycle kicking also smooshes your toes into the fins with each kick, which causes discomfort.

You want to kick less and glide more. Kick one foot with authority and let yourself glide a small bit, then kick the other leg.
It's quite the opposite pattern of what you see in olympic swimming.

There is no magical answer to your question. Fins & Masks are a very personal preference thing and this question is better answered in person by your instructor or mentors.

Right now all I can advise is find a bootie that fits your feet snug and doesn't let your feet slide a lot when wet.
Tighten your fin straps snug (not as tight as you'd probably think). And finally ask your instructor to critique your finning.

Thank you for the input! I'm a very strong swimmer and fully appreciate your remarks about technique. The inexpensive snorkeling fins I purchased work really well while snorkeling, legs and feet don't ache even after being out a couple of hours and there's no discomfort but, that's without boots. I will be seeking advice from my instructor, just thought I see what I could learn from y'all as well!

Thank you everyone! As I've not really gone below the surface and haven't had proper technique correction by an instructor, I will take your advice and be patient and try a few different types and see how it goes.

Reactions: mdb
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom