Suggestion Finalized Banning Procedure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
The Chairman

The Chairman

Chairman of the Board
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
On January 15, 2003, 7 users were banned from Scubaboard. Most of the moderators and a few of our users were not satisfied with the process, and so we began discussing the hows and whys in the moderator’s forum. Subsequently we even opened up a new forum for our users to be able to express their thoughts and ideas.

In formulating the new process, we wanted to ensure to resolve a few issues germane to the larger issue. These would be communication, fairness, consistency and moderator responsibility. To this end we have come up with the following process:

Temp bans (5 days) can be called for by any moderator and are automatic. This can be in response to any violation of the TOS (moderator’s discretion), harassment of others, flaming others, or trolling. The moderator must send a notice (even though an administrator has to flip the switch) to the affected user’s e-mail and detail why the suspension was initiated. These should be rare and can be conditional.

Perm Bans are considered when the user exceeds 2 suspensions in less than 6 months, openly challenges authority (not just asking a question), threatens anyone in any way, or has blatantly violated the TOS. A perm ban requires 8 moderator’s approvals or a 2/3s majority of the mods voting, which ever is more. A temp ban should be called for first and then perm banning should be discussed for at least 5 days. The mod who initiated the temp ban is in charge of the process. They will also set the time for a vote (at least 5 days) and send the appropriate message if so needed. These should be very rare and can be conditional.

Under no circumstances will Scubaboard moderators or administrators disclose reasons or rationale for any disciplinary action to a third party. We view this as a privacy issue and are committed to protect the privacy of the board's users at all times. While we do respect a user's desire to request a review of the status of their account, we specifically forbid the use of sock puppets (multiple user accounts) or another user's account to make your case. All such requests must be sent to scubaboard@moderninsider.com for consideration. At this point of the process, we will not feel obliged to correspond any further unless we change your status. All moderators and administrators will forward any and all such requests sent to them personally as well.

Perm bans can be re-visited by any mod at any time and only need a simple majority of the mods voting to be rescinded.

As with any “invention” you are never sure how it works until tested. So it was suggested and then decided by the mods to subject the January 15 bans to the new process. 4 of the original 7 had perm bannings initiated and those are being discussed. While we hoped to have 3 of those 4 finalized today, server issues have made that impossible. However, we can report that Cobaltbabe, Raven C and 00Scuba have been subsequently restored to full user status. We welcome them back into the Scubaboard fold, and extend our sincerest thanks to those users who gave us input into this issue.

??? What is it about ScubaBoard that brings out the worst in its users? People here with the same screen names would never say half the stuff on other boards they say here....for crying out loud....

I don't beleive I've ever been shy about anything I say here....there....or anywhere....

I'll say it on this board...with coffee, donuts, and cream.

I'll say it on a plane with Free nuts and jim beam

I am who I am...but I do not like green eggs and ham!

Big-t-2538:
I don't beleive I've ever been shy about anything I say here....there....or anywhere....

I'll say it on this board...with coffee, donuts, and cream.

I'll say it on a plane with Free nuts and jim beam

I am who I am...but I do not like green eggs and ham!

This post right here. Remember it.

It marks the beginning of the end.

In two months when it's all crashing down around you, you're going to think "dude... jonny was *right*"

chrpai:
The irony is that you will take any chance that you can to make snide comments at people. I recently saw one post where you attacked someone for not being a moderator when if you just read their post you would have realized they were talking about their role as a moderator on another board. Perhaps you should get it a rest, Drew.

http://www.scubaboard.com/showpost.php?p=491615&postcount=63
http://www.scubaboard.com/showpost.php?p=491678&postcount=69

Chris, you're right. I didn't read that particular post very closely. FWIW, I thought I remembered his name as a moderator back in the King Neptune/Lady Diver days. Given the number of issues since the upgrade I thought his member status might not have been displayed incorrectly and that he might not have noticed. It never occured to me that anyone would take my post as some form of attack.

For the record, I was the one Cornfed was referring to and to be honest, I didn't take it as a personal attack. But in general, I'm pretty laid back anyway ... for those who know me (Mo2vation, Chris Red, Freefloat, Dive Source ... where are you?). If I were any more laid back I'd be dead.

W

cornfed:
Chris, you're right. I didn't read that particular post very closely. FWIW, I thought I remembered his name as a moderator back in the King Neptune/Lady Diver days. Given the number of issues since the upgrade I thought his member status might not have been displayed incorrectly and that he might not have noticed. It never occured to me that anyone would take my post as some form of attack.

Fair enough, perhaps I'm just to acutely aware of your posting history. We could all learn a bit from Warren_L's playbook!

warren_l:
If I were any more laid back I'd be dead.

I've seen a few discussions recently on first aid training and AED use... you might want to do a search! :D

chrpai:
Fair enough, perhaps I'm just to acutely aware of your posting history. We could all learn a bit from Warren_L's playbook!

I'm acutely aware that many folks look outward (looking at injustices others perform) rather than inward(at injustices they cause)....

this thread is way off its original topic...

Enjoy!

warren_l:
For the record, I was the one Cornfed was referring to and to be honest, I didn't take it as a personal attack. But in general, I'm pretty laid back anyway ... for those who know me (Mo2vation, Chris Red, Freefloat, Dive Source ... where are you?). If I were any more laid back I'd be dead.

W

I will agree that Warren is very laid back....any more so and he would fall over.

Now on the other hand when he is negotiating in his laid back way, I have noticed a savage gleam in the back of his eye...somewhat like a tiger looking at a T-Bone. - LOL

Back
Top Bottom