Suggestion Finalized Banning Procedure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
The Chairman

The Chairman

Chairman of the Board
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
On January 15, 2003, 7 users were banned from Scubaboard. Most of the moderators and a few of our users were not satisfied with the process, and so we began discussing the hows and whys in the moderator’s forum. Subsequently we even opened up a new forum for our users to be able to express their thoughts and ideas.

In formulating the new process, we wanted to ensure to resolve a few issues germane to the larger issue. These would be communication, fairness, consistency and moderator responsibility. To this end we have come up with the following process:

Temp bans (5 days) can be called for by any moderator and are automatic. This can be in response to any violation of the TOS (moderator’s discretion), harassment of others, flaming others, or trolling. The moderator must send a notice (even though an administrator has to flip the switch) to the affected user’s e-mail and detail why the suspension was initiated. These should be rare and can be conditional.

Perm Bans are considered when the user exceeds 2 suspensions in less than 6 months, openly challenges authority (not just asking a question), threatens anyone in any way, or has blatantly violated the TOS. A perm ban requires 8 moderator’s approvals or a 2/3s majority of the mods voting, which ever is more. A temp ban should be called for first and then perm banning should be discussed for at least 5 days. The mod who initiated the temp ban is in charge of the process. They will also set the time for a vote (at least 5 days) and send the appropriate message if so needed. These should be very rare and can be conditional.

Under no circumstances will Scubaboard moderators or administrators disclose reasons or rationale for any disciplinary action to a third party. We view this as a privacy issue and are committed to protect the privacy of the board's users at all times. While we do respect a user's desire to request a review of the status of their account, we specifically forbid the use of sock puppets (multiple user accounts) or another user's account to make your case. All such requests must be sent to scubaboard@moderninsider.com for consideration. At this point of the process, we will not feel obliged to correspond any further unless we change your status. All moderators and administrators will forward any and all such requests sent to them personally as well.

Perm bans can be re-visited by any mod at any time and only need a simple majority of the mods voting to be rescinded.

As with any “invention” you are never sure how it works until tested. So it was suggested and then decided by the mods to subject the January 15 bans to the new process. 4 of the original 7 had perm bannings initiated and those are being discussed. While we hoped to have 3 of those 4 finalized today, server issues have made that impossible. However, we can report that Cobaltbabe, Raven C and 00Scuba have been subsequently restored to full user status. We welcome them back into the Scubaboard fold, and extend our sincerest thanks to those users who gave us input into this issue.

Spectre:
Do we have to throw them at a board, or can we choose our own targets?
That depends on who is invited...how much beer is on the line...and wether or not the pretty waitress has caught your eye mid-stroke

Spectre:
Do we have to throw them at a board, or can we choose our own targets?

Why don't we throw them at this thread? Then the moderators can get back to their regularly scheduled duties instead of watching the riding crop hit the dead horse.

BTW, Big-T. Beer and darts are good. It reminds of my Navy days in Groton when I won many a drink on a dart board. I wonder if I could still do that....

Where do I meet you and Spectre?

BTW, my favorite beer is Sam Adams, so keep that in mind when choosing the bar!

diverbrian:
Where do I meet you and Spectre?

BTW, my favorite beer is Sam Adams, so keep that in mind when choosing the bar!
IF that's the case we'll just have to make our way up to the NorthEast to meet this joker...and some of his non-hippie friends (if they'll calim him).

I think there's something called the minuteman dart league up in your area Spectre?

We could go there...give Spec a lesson on the board, then he can teach us how to play pool when we're thrown out of the bar for rowdy intoxication and winning too many drinks from the locals.

WaterWorld:
??? What is it about ScubaBoard that brings out the worst in its users? People here with the same screen names would never say half the stuff on other boards they say here....for crying out loud....

I have an excuse. I'm up to my cheeks in snow here and for some reason all the drivers are suddenly acting like they come from Florida (or NYC). But I agree with you about those other guys needlessly promoting this purposeless thread. 8)

JohnF

Big-t-2538:
the pretty waitress has caught your eye mid-stroke

An obvious troll.

JohnF

Big-t-2538:
IF that's the case we'll just have to make our way up to the NorthEast to meet this joker...and some of his non-hippie friends (if they'll calim him).

I think there's something called the minuteman dart league up in your area Spectre?

We could go there...give Spec a lesson on the board, then he can teach us how to play pool when we're thrown out of the bar for rowdy intoxication and winning too many drinks from the locals.

When I was stationed up there, the bar-owners WANTED rowdy intoxication. The rowdy intoxicated sailors spent more money! So, you really had to act up to get tossed from a bar in Groton, CT.

But, I like your thinking.

i'll toss a few tons and let you guys buy a few rounds.

diverbrian:
When I was stationed up there, the bar-owners WANTED rowdy intoxication. The rowdy intoxicated sailors spent more money! So, you really had to act up to get tossed from a bar in Groton, CT.

But, I like your thinking.

Unfortunatly the PCness of the New Corps doesn't allow enjoyment of such pasttimes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom