Suggestion Finalized Banning Procedure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
The Chairman

The Chairman

Chairman of the Board
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
On January 15, 2003, 7 users were banned from Scubaboard. Most of the moderators and a few of our users were not satisfied with the process, and so we began discussing the hows and whys in the moderator’s forum. Subsequently we even opened up a new forum for our users to be able to express their thoughts and ideas.

In formulating the new process, we wanted to ensure to resolve a few issues germane to the larger issue. These would be communication, fairness, consistency and moderator responsibility. To this end we have come up with the following process:

Temp bans (5 days) can be called for by any moderator and are automatic. This can be in response to any violation of the TOS (moderator’s discretion), harassment of others, flaming others, or trolling. The moderator must send a notice (even though an administrator has to flip the switch) to the affected user’s e-mail and detail why the suspension was initiated. These should be rare and can be conditional.

Perm Bans are considered when the user exceeds 2 suspensions in less than 6 months, openly challenges authority (not just asking a question), threatens anyone in any way, or has blatantly violated the TOS. A perm ban requires 8 moderator’s approvals or a 2/3s majority of the mods voting, which ever is more. A temp ban should be called for first and then perm banning should be discussed for at least 5 days. The mod who initiated the temp ban is in charge of the process. They will also set the time for a vote (at least 5 days) and send the appropriate message if so needed. These should be very rare and can be conditional.

Under no circumstances will Scubaboard moderators or administrators disclose reasons or rationale for any disciplinary action to a third party. We view this as a privacy issue and are committed to protect the privacy of the board's users at all times. While we do respect a user's desire to request a review of the status of their account, we specifically forbid the use of sock puppets (multiple user accounts) or another user's account to make your case. All such requests must be sent to scubaboard@moderninsider.com for consideration. At this point of the process, we will not feel obliged to correspond any further unless we change your status. All moderators and administrators will forward any and all such requests sent to them personally as well.

Perm bans can be re-visited by any mod at any time and only need a simple majority of the mods voting to be rescinded.

As with any “invention” you are never sure how it works until tested. So it was suggested and then decided by the mods to subject the January 15 bans to the new process. 4 of the original 7 had perm bannings initiated and those are being discussed. While we hoped to have 3 of those 4 finalized today, server issues have made that impossible. However, we can report that Cobaltbabe, Raven C and 00Scuba have been subsequently restored to full user status. We welcome them back into the Scubaboard fold, and extend our sincerest thanks to those users who gave us input into this issue.

Dive Source:
I will agree that Warren is very laid back....any more so and he would fall over.

Now on the other hand when he is negotiating in his laid back way, I have noticed a savage gleam in the back of his eye...somewhat like a tiger looking at a T-Bone. - LOL

Nobody can resist a good deal! And if I felt I wasn't getting one, I wouldn't be back for more, LOL!

I guess you just have to have virtual beer.

Big-t-2538:
I think there's something called the minuteman dart league up in your area Spectre?

Possibly, I never really looked into it yet.

We could go there...give Spec a lesson on the board, then he can teach us how to play pool when we're thrown out of the bar for rowdy intoxication and winning too many drinks from the locals.

I can shoot. I'm sure I'm not up to par with you, but I can hold my own in a bar game. I'd have to do some digging for dart places, but I know of one down and dirty pool hall that tends to not have too many people walking in front of the dart board. Pluses: Cheap [$6/person during the week unlimited pool. a burger, a couple brews and some table time runs me $20]. They have Sam Adams and Guiness on tap. Minuses: No Harpoon.

I got another place, kick ass tables, tons of TVs, Harpoon and Sam on tap, they serve pitchers, kick ass brick oven pizza. minus: No darts.

Spectre:
I can shoot. I'm sure I'm not up to par with you, but I can hold my own in a bar game. I'd have to do some digging for dart places, but I know of one down and dirty pool hall that tends to not have too many people walking in front of the dart board. Pluses: Cheap [$6/person during the week unlimited pool. a burger, a couple brews and some table time runs me $20]. They have Sam Adams and Guiness on tap. Minuses: No Harpoon.

I got another place, kick ass tables, tons of TVs, Harpoon and Sam on tap, they serve pitchers, kick ass brick oven pizza. minus: No darts.
PErfect...

1 - I've yet to have a problem walking by a pool player's pocket when they're in the middle of a shot....but the same can't be said about them walking in front of a board as I'm shooting dart # 3.....I have not hit anyone yet, but pissed a few people off. We could start here...I can make my 1st "kill", and we can bolt.

2 - We can move on to said nice pool with good beer and pizza (this at times outranks darts...especially after a "kill")...enjoy evening there....log some fuzzy memories, and pass out in the cab on the ride home

sounds like a plan!

Big-t-2538:
log some fuzzy memories, and pass out in the cab on the ride home

Or call my buddy who's hanging out at -the club- around the corner to come pick us up, and pass out at the club instead!

The trouble about my neck of the woods is ya gotta make your own arrangements; since cabs are few and far between.

Spectre:
The trouble about my neck of the woods is ya gotta make your own arrangements; since cabs are few and far between.

Better yet. Bring your suit, some shades and your dress sandels. We'll splurge for a stretch & a penguin clad driver.

We'll have to change the order, hit the pool hall first, then finish up a Bogie's. I'm a pretty good shot at a moving dart board, but I can never remember to aim at the middle ball when shooting pool. We'll do max's, then head up and close down Bogie's, and hit the Circle K on the way home for some hangover helper.

WaterWorld:
??? What is it about ScubaBoard that brings out the worst in its users? People here with the same screen names would never say half the stuff on other boards they say here....for crying out loud....

Yep. That's a valid observation IMHO. Frankly, if the powers to be decide to place a given Forum with lot's of abuse into "Post Moderation" mode you and I will see an immediate reduction in this kind of stuff. The goal is "reduced to an acceptable level" The Forum is still live with posts but each post is reviewed by a Moderator before it's either published/posted or deleated along with perhaps the offending member :)

Given the fact that this Forum and every post in it vanishes forever this Friday as per: http://www.scubaboard.com/announcement.php?f=194 Perhaps...

A modification of the above is to run the Post Moderation for a few months untill the "hull is clean" and then open it back up again so posts no longer require review.

Thoughts?

The thing about SB that brings out the worst in people is that its users see bad things happen to people for no apparent reason.

medic13:
and most of us hope to see Seajay back soon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! we can only hope.

What happened to SeaJay? I must have missed that one.

What happened to that last post by UP that I just saw??????

Something about SeaJay over on wildaboutscuba, I've never heard of that forum. I think I will have a look see.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom