Fire on safari boat Suzana in Egypt (Red Sea Aggressor)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Recent events have me checking out the smoke detector links.
That link I posted earlier for the cheap CO & Smoke alarm is to a no name unit. We may be safer with a known brand like First Alert or Kidde.

That link I posted earlier for the cheap CO & Smoke alarm is to a no name unit. We may be safer with a known brand like First Alert or Kidde.

They are probably all made by the same Chinese manufacturer.

They are probably all made by the same Chinese manufacturer.
That's probably true, and I thought of that. I've bought a lot of things from such sources on ebay, sometimes I'm pleased, but sometimes I'm not. At least ebay is good on refunds.

The problem with generic smoke & CO alarms is they can't offer support, answer questions, include testing data, and such. Not the sort of safety device I want to try out & see. At least with smoke alarms you can test with some smoldering cotton rope in the driveway with garden hose handy, but CO alarms demand such minute accuracy - difficult to test. Then there is the sensor drift problem. It's relatively new and economical technology, but maybe with imitators.

That's probably true, and I thought of that. I've bought a lot of things from such sources on ebay, sometimes I'm pleased, but sometimes I'm not. At least ebay is good on refunds.

The problem with generic smoke & CO alarms is they can't offer support, answer questions, include testing data, and such. Not the sort of safety device I want to try out & see. At least with smoke alarms you can test with some smoldering cotton rope in the driveway with garden hose handy, but CO alarms demand such minute accuracy - difficult to test. Then there is the sensor drift problem. It's relatively new and economical technology, but maybe with imitators.

Well, if we all bring one then surely one of them is bound to work!

Well, if we all bring one then surely one of them is bound to work!
And what's the likelihood of that? I think you'd be surprised to see more than yours brought by a diver if you took one. Besides, I want one I can take on solo trips anywhere.

And what's the likelihood of that? I think you'd be surprised to see more than yours brought by a diver if you took one. Besides, I want one I can take on solo trips anywhere.

That was before the Year of Dive Boat Fires.

That was before the Year of Dive Boat Fires.
Memories quickly fade, talk is talk, and intentions are questionable. We'll see in time. Boats burn, crews sleep, so let's watch for a story where a customer's alarm saves the day. It'd be nice, but I'm not hopeful.

I hope we are eventually able to learn from this tragedy regarding the risks of LOB diving and mitigation of those risks. Thus far, I am unimpressed with transparency, nothing in the public domain from Aggressor, little to no coverage in the US...

I hope you subscribe to Undercurrent. A lot about it in November issue (to subscribers about Nov. 12)!

One of the things that annoys me the most about these occurrences is the lack of effort to learn from these sinking as an industry in an effort to prevent them again. Waow etc....years later and it's still just 'there was a fire in a storm'..there really is no proper forensic investigation (perhaps unable to conduct one) and the crew eyewitnesses are always extremely vague at best. 'we fought a fire in the engine room but can't (won't) comment on where it was coming from or how it started' etc...

"WAOW" had a fire too? Or am I misunderstanding you?

Back
Top Bottom