First BP/W TT17 with Kydex

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

twinkles

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I finally decided on my first BP/W. It took a while but I realized that I will likely need two or three by the time I am done. I wanted to start light. The rave reviews of the travel light crowd for the Kydex plate with tropical travel 17 pound wing finally pushed me over the edge. My next purchase will likely be a steel plate with a larger wing either a Torus 26 or an LCD 30. Anyway, since I am a noob, here are some pics so you guys can comment on my assembly. Tommorrow will be the first test dive.

Attachments

• P7190001.jpg
    P7190001.jpg
    409.9 KB · Views: 198
  • P7190002.jpg
    P7190002.jpg
    406.1 KB · Views: 172
  • P7190004.jpg
    P7190004.jpg
    416 KB · Views: 204
I have been diving that same setup for over a year now and it absolutely rocks!

Besides packing small and light, there is noticeably less drag in the water than with most other BCs. I feel more nimble and streamlined in the water. You will also likely need less weight than with a jacket BC because the DSS rig will have no inherent buoyancy.

You may want your buckle to be more in front, just off-center.

Let us know how you like it.

Cheers,
Thom

I finally decided on my first BP/W. It took a while but I realized that I will likely need two or three by the time I am done. I wanted to start light. The rave reviews of the travel light crowd for the Kydex plate with tropical travel 17 pound wing finally pushed me over the edge. My next purchase will likely be a steel plate with a larger wing either a Torus 26 or an LCD 30. Anyway, since I am a noob, here are some pics so you guys can comment on my assembly. Tommorrow will be the first test dive.

It looks like you have the basic harness correct. You will likely find you want to tweak it a bit after the first few dives, and you will probably more the drings slightly, particularly if you are clipping off your SPG and Reg.

As Thom mentioned the waist belt buckle should end up to the right of center, so it clears the crotch strap.

Enjoy,

Tobin

First test dive is now complete. My wife and I were both amazed at how much lift 17 pounds provided (she was quite skeptical when she first saw how streamline this little wing is). We spent about 2 and a half hours breathing down one tank of air. First adjusting and readjusting and then at the end of the dive getting the weighting just right.

Even at the beginning of the dive with a full tank of air and about 2 pounds over weighted, my head and some neck were out of the water when I leaned back on the wing. At the end of the dive with 500 pounds in the Al 80 and just neutral at 10 feet with the wing empty, I felt as buoyant at the surface as I was accustomed to with my jacket bc.

Very pleased.

Cayman test in about a month.

Last night I did a packing test. I am going to be able to put all my gear and clothing into my carryon with a reg bag. I met my goal of no check luggage on Carribean dive trips.

First test dive is now complete. My wife and I were both amazed at how much lift 17 pounds provided (she was quite skeptical when she first saw how streamline this little wing is). We spent about 2 and a half hours breathing down one tank of air. First adjusting and readjusting and then at the end of the dive getting the weighting just right.

Even at the beginning of the dive with a full tank of air and about 2 pounds over weighted, my head and some neck were out of the water when I leaned back on the wing. At the end of the dive with 500 pounds in the Al 80 and just neutral at 10 feet with the wing empty, I felt as buoyant at the surface as I was accustomed to with my jacket bc.

Very pleased.

Cayman test in about a month.

Last night I did a packing test. I am going to be able to put all my gear and clothing into my carryon with a reg bag. I met my goal of no check luggage on Carribean dive trips.

Very Cool. Glad to hear it's working out.

Tobin

I keep the shoulder rings a bit lower - easier to use and the inflator valve doesn't hit a ring. The waist strap could be trimmed - but wait until you dive with a dry suit (if you do that type of diving.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom