First equipment, thoughts on my choices?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

+2 on getting your Wetsuit first. Your skin gear is far more personable than your hard gear. Here in the states, majority of the LDS's have top notch rental gear. That may change if you go over to less developed countries to dive, but it's still very doable. As a new diver you'll rarely notice these small things anyway.

Not having to deal with loose or ill fitting wetsuits, booties, fins, masks etc will make your dive a lot more enjoyable.

Now as to your question, I've seen the Suunto Zoop and Vyper in action. The only complaint I've heard or can have about it is Suunto's conservative algorithm. If you have a Suunto, you're usually the first one who hits their NDL limit. You still get plenty of time, but some buddies may get annoyed by this fact. The simple answer there is to not dive with them. :D
I would strongly recommend getting a compass with your set up. I would also recommend wrist mounted Computer and Compass for ease of use in any situation except lobster hunting. Having those pieces on your wrists frees up your hands for other tasks and allows for an easier viewing on the fly IMHO.
The only downside to having wrist mounts is the increased possibility of misplacing it or having it smashed on the tailgate of your truck. :shakehead:

Two of the three items on your wish list are what I ended up buying over the past 12 months: I have both the Aqualung Pearl BCD (also the non-i3 model, which you are considering) and the Suunto Zoop computer.

BCD - The Pearl BCD is a great fit and very comfortable to wear, particularly across the chest. What I am less keen on are the plastic D-rings (would prefer metal) and the 'floaty' inflator that seems to wave about horizontally in front of me, appearing within the range of my peripheral vision, when I am diving. I took it in to a dive centre that services the Aqualung range to see if the supplied hose was too short, causing it to float up, but they said it was the correct one. I've added the DiveAlert horn to the hose and the extra weight and length seems to have reduced the 'floaty' factor....or maybe I'm just learning to live with it! :wink: When I am diving with steel tanks, especially 15L ones or have extra weights on, such as when I'm wearing compensating for a thick wetsuit, the BCD does dig in a little below my rib cage, but I figure if you are carrying 20-25+ kg of gear on your back/shoulders/waist, it's probably going to be a tad uncomfortable somewhere!

Computer - I like the simplicity and ease of use of the Zoop (I have the wrist version). It certainly doesn't win any style contests, but I think it is great value for money and gives a solid performance for an entry-level computer that is Nitrox capable. Will I want a higher end, AI computer at some point? Maybe. But right now it delivers everything I need :) If there is one feature I'd like to have included that currently isn't, it would be a backlight so it self-illuminates with the push of a button for night dives. It does stay illuminated if you shine a flash light on it, but it can be a little tricky to read quickly if you are simultaneously trying to monitor computer, SPG and compass with your dive light.

Regulator - I'm with D_B - get the best performing one you can afford as you will have it for a long time. I originally considered the Mikron but ended up choosing the Aqualung Legend, because of its excellent reputation for all-round performance in almost all diving conditions. I don't regret it at all - in fact, I love diving with it! - although it's certainly hefty to lug around airports. Lately I haven't been able to get it through airport immigration in Pakistan in my carry-on bag (for some bizarre reason, they insist it represents a security risk), so it adds a fair bit of weight to my check-in bags. C'est la vie!

As others have said, getting a wetsuit early on is a good idea, particularly if you regularly find that rentals don't fit - it makes a big difference to your comfort levels when diving. I got my main gear in this order: 1) Mask, snorkel and fins; 2) Wetsuit and computer; 3) BCD and regulator; 4) Safety equipment, etc, but everyone is different in prioritising equipment purchases. Go with what makes the most sense for you - and fits your budget!

Good luck with your decisions! :)

Last edited:
You have heard a lot of good advice here. I would like to address the regulator. As mentioned before, jaw fatigue can be minimized by using a mouthpiece that works for you (the stock mouthpiece may be great for you). The weight is minimized while you are underwater, so I think that is of minimal use. You seem to indicate that you will dive local cold water, the Titan LX Supreme is better suited to that. I dive a Legend LX & have dived it down to 45ºF without any issues, and the Titan LX Supreme is better suited to cold water than my reg. Plus the Titan is cheaper than the Micron.

One final note, there was a mid-year upgrade in the Titan LX Supreme first stage, it is easily recognized by having two HP ports on the first stage--you will want the latest and greatest (unless the store heavily discounts the older model).

good diving.

Your equipment choices are virtuall the same as mine were as a new diver

BCD...I bought the Pearl and love it!!! I would buy another one when this one wears out.
The pockets are rather small due to the intergrated weights, the integrated weights are difficult to put in when you have the weight in but just put them in empty and then put in the weight no problem, and the LPI hose is indeed floaty which has hampered me on my DM skills circuit training but those are the only 3 things I dislike about it.
I love the comfy fit, the short cut, and the fit it gives me as a girl with a large chest:D

Zoop...I bought this and love it..its very conservative but my regular buddy dives a Suunto too so no problem...the only thing I would like to see is a light for night dives

Regs..I bought the Apeks flight which is the exact same as the Mikron.....I love them and they are brill to use HOWEVER...

I would give thought to what kind of diving you do...I won't be using these in the UK as they are not rated for cold water ALSO, when I first started diving I never in a million years thought that I would be doing any kind of professional diving..I am just about to start my instructor training and am going to buy some new regs as the flights are great but I really want some workhorse regs which will serve me well in all conditions...

I am going to probably buy the Apeks XTX 200's which I know i will never have to replace and will be great in all my diving to come....

I will use my Flights as holiday regs...

just my 2p worth, its exciting buying your own kit:D
Jo

Ps, I did buy my wetsuit first but don't think that really matters...you will probably use all types of wetsuit/drysuit over your diving lifetime so .....

Why go for the wrist mounted computer? I'm in the market to buy now.

I was looking at this: Dacor - Mares Pressure Gauge / Thermometer
Simple and cheap.
Then spend $$ on wrist computer...?

I agree with TS&M about the wetsuit, it needs to fit properly to work. Also if you're using rental gear it's hard to get your buoyancy nailed as your weight requirements will always be changing slightly based on the gear you're using. I agree with you on integrated air, a regular SPG does the trick especially if you're just starting out.

However I would strongly recommend getting a compass - when you need it, you really need it, and even paying attention to it when you're following a guide can teach you a lot about navigation.

You haven't mentioned fins, and I don't know what kind of diving you do, but if you're doing any amount of shore diving I'd recommend booties and pocket fins rather than full foot ones.

Lastly I have lots of friends who have the Zoop and love it.

Good luck with the diving, enjoy!

Several people had good points on exposure protection (wetsuit) But I have different opinion on this. If you can rent a wet suit that fits for a reasonable price, do it. I think in Ohio that you would be more comfortable in a drysuit, I will probably get flamed for this but this is just my opinion. I can't be sure for Ohio but in all the lakes around here once you get below around 30' you pass the second thermocline and are in water in the high 40 to low 50's and that is definetly dry suit temps, and it does not change year round. Also a drysuit will keep you possibly diving year round. I think the reason most people don't dive more is because they are not comfortable (reed COLD). My opinion is if it requires a 7mil wetsuit it requires a drysuit. A good wetsuit will set you back around 500 to 600 dollars, decent drysuits can be had for around 800 to 900 dollars(there are two in this price range fromhttp://www.diverightinscuba.com/catalog/suits-c-270_268.html). I can't tell you how many people that I have talked to that are diving drysuits and have a heavy wetsuit sitting in a closet not getting any use because a drysuit is just more comfortable. one other thing that I'm sure most people will agree with is if you purchase the zoop computer see if you can get it with out a boot and purchase a DSS bungee mount https://www.deepseasupply.com/index.php?product=48 it is a lot easer to don and doff.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom