First Time Traveling!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Planned on using regs at resort - wow, that's the piece I am most likely to want my own.

heard that those of us with DAN also get travel insurance for lost items - nope, not with DAN dive insurance anyway. There is coverage for gear lost Resulting from a covered diving accident.
see http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/insurance/compare.asp

Beaches includes scuba including gear as part package. Use scubapro regs. Besides, have bought my own regs yet, still picking up gear as I go along. Sorry, didn't mean to hijack this thread.

Suppose could always strap my backpack into my BC wear on plane.

Beaches includes scuba including gear as part package. Use scubapro regs. Besides, have bought my own regs yet, still picking up gear as I go along. Sorry, didn't mean to hijack this thread.

Suppose could always strap my backpack into my BC wear on plane.
Ok well, how good a reg is depends on how it was serviced, when, and what's happened to it since. Rental regs have a rough life at times. I like my regs in my roll-on: my dive reg, my pony reg, and my spare reg - but I've been called a fanatic for many other reasons as well. :eyebrow:

If you want luggage insurance, you need to consider Trip Insurance coverage. I get a really good policy since I do not have homeowner's coverage nor out of country medical coverage, but your needs may well be different.

Glad you got the DAN dive insurance, and not the cheapest level. :thumb:

Hey guys,

SO this Saturday my family and I are going to Hawaii for the first time! I am super excited because not only do I get to hang out in Hawaii for a few days but also do some diving! My dives are already scheduled. I am doing the Manta Ray Night Dive and the 3 tank advanced (both in Kona, Hawaii).

But this is my first time traveling and carry scuba gear. I would prefer to bring my own gear because that is what I feel the most comfortable in. What gear should I bring? MAsk, reg, BCD? I only have a carry-on to carry gear or else I would bring it all :).

Any advice regarding bringing gear and also other tips about traveling and diving? What to look out for once I get there? Tips and tricks?

Thanks everyone!

Nick

P.S. It's with Jack's Diving Locker.

I use a minimum amount of gear when I am diving on vacation so I am able to take what I need in a small carry on. The only thing I put in the checked baggage is the knife. I live in a place where visibility is 5' on a good day so when I am in the tropics I am looking for shallow long duration dives, usually not deeper then 30'. My last trip I took mask, fins, snorkel, regulator, flag, knife and a Miller harness for the tank. I was able to rent a 40 cu/ft tank and made my dives using only that.

If you are limited in what gear you can take, I'd take the most fit-critical. That would include mask, fins and wetsuit. After that, I'd take whatever I was fondest of -- BC if mine was a perfect fit and function, or regs (especially if I were using a non-standard hose configuration).

Have fun -- I got skunked on mantas when I did the manta dive, but we had a nice night dive, anyway.

Hey guys so thank you for all the help! I ended up taking most of my gear in my carryon and then stuffing whatever was left into my brother's :).

The diving was FANTASTIC. It was like I died and ended up in a watery heaven. The water was so warm! The two tank manta dive was great. We saw mantas on both dives and Grayer, the manta's name, actually touched my head :). Also we followed a spotted moray eel that was at least 4 feet long on the hunt. Man they suckkk at hunting!

For the 3 tank advanced we visited the Long Lava tubes, Henry's Cave, and Casa Cave (? I think that was the name). I saw mantas on every dive, dolphins, sea turtles, too many fish to count or even name, eels, bright flatworms, octopus, nudibranch (sp:). And on the last dive of the day and the trip, I saw two 5ft+ white tip reef sharks in a cave! This was totally my coolest dive moment ever, spare maybe breathing underwater for the first time. The sharks just circled close by in the cave and came withing a few feet. We left after a few minutes because they seemed to be getting agitated. But totally the coolest thing ever.

The service at Jack's was amazing and I am now friends with a lot of instructors and DM's there. They even offered me a summer job there! :)

Glad to hear you had a great time.

Now go out and buy a bigger bag and leave your brother's bag alone, lol!

What a great report -- I love the enthusiasm and excitement in your "voice"!

Hey guys,

SO this Saturday my family and I are going to Hawaii for the first time! I am super excited because not only do I get to hang out in Hawaii for a few days but also do some diving! My dives are already scheduled. I am doing the Manta Ray Night Dive and the 3 tank advanced (both in Kona, Hawaii).

But this is my first time traveling and carry scuba gear. I would prefer to bring my own gear because that is what I feel the most comfortable in. What gear should I bring? MAsk, reg, BCD? I only have a carry-on to carry gear or else I would bring it all :).

Any advice regarding bringing gear and also other tips about traveling and diving? What to look out for once I get there? Tips and tricks?

Thanks everyone!

Nick

P.S. It's with Jack's Diving Locker.

My wife and I travel with our complete dive gear. We have a travel scuba bag but we use a regular reinforced luggage and stuff all our gear in it. It fits everything we have (BCs, fins, gloves, boots, wetsuits, rashguards, knives, sausages, reels, & masks including spares) except our regulators which we have in a carry on bag. We stuff our clothes in our travel scuba bag and everything else we need in the other carry on bag. If you fly JetBlue (not that I am recommending them) you get another carry on to use which can help divers (2 carry-on per passenger). I would suggest you bring a check in bag if you are diving just so you can carry the gear you are comfortable with. It makes things much easier and the only thing you have to rent are tanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom