First Turret style 1st Stage. Up or down?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would say the only correct answer is the one that is most comfortable on you. I'm short so down works best for me, especially on a single. A friend is 6'4"/1,930mm and is comfortable with it up. How you wear your tank(s) also makes a big difference. Some divers point it to the right and route hoses down or put their primary on an end port.

Part of the up/down answer for a single-tank rig is how high does your tank sit.

If you put your tank really low (I shudder at the number of folks walking around the quarry with the single cam-band on the BC at the shoulder of their AL80) then turret-up. If you put the tank valve high (helpful for me for trim reasons, I have pretty negative legs in a wetsuit and frequently dive with long HP120s) then turret down may place the hoses around neck/shoulder level.

Play with it. Use what works for you.

I dive a single with a turret up, but obviously I am in minority. I have had several dive guides try to “correct it” for me (so I know I am in minority) but I feel that turret rotates better when up and I have the least amount of pull from my second stage. When I dive turret down, the hoses “lock-in” on my shoulders and I feel like no advantage of having a turret... Which is fine too, of course, (like my mk17 or 11) but then I need a swivel for the hose.
There is a concern for some that it can bang on the back of their head when sticking out like that, but I have not encountered it to be a problem.

You must be smart, so be careful!

Extra info: Rec diver. ZERO plan to move to Tech. Always single tank. Use the long/short hose with spg setup.

Phil

Can you clarify your hose set up? How long is your primary hose, alternate hose, where you stow your alternate, and how long the SPG hose is, and is it a console or a stand alone SPG?

There is a very good case to be made for using a longer primary hose routed under your right arm, an alternate on a short hose on a bungee necklace, and a bare SPG on a 24" hose, even for purely recreational divers. With a set up like this, you can take advantage of the 5th port on a turret style 1st stage, pointing the turret down and slightly to the diver's right side.

< 5'9" down > 5'10" up, base line only, depends on BC, cylinder and hose routing.
Me , down , vertically challenged.
Went for a medical yesterday and I have shrunk 1.5" since I left the Navy, getting old is not for the timid ! Boyle’s law works with height as well.:p

< 5'9" down > 5'10" up, base line only, depends on BC, cylinder and hose routing.
Went for a medical yesterday and I have shrunk 1.5" since I left the Navy, getting old is not for the timid ! Boyle’s law works with height as well.:p
So true! I was 5'10" when I started and had the turret up...now being older I am 5'9" and turret down!

$#!% I'm 5' 9.5"

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom