Fisheye FIX for the S90

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes all done with a sharp blade and fits well!

Anyone care to share what type of focus lights they are using?

Bossk BigBlue FF 3x5W 500 Lumen LED Focus Light [bos.ff.3x5w] - $289.99 : Reef Photo & Video!, The Underwater Photo Pros

I got the Bossk BigBlue and really like it especially as it shuts off momentarily as the flash goes off (if you order the right model). A little bit disconcerting on night dives. It works very well as a main light and video light on night dives too.

Wow, that's quite more than I budgeted for! What is the advantge of this beast over the mini light? I think the mini led also switches off on flash. I just need something compact to attach to the hotshoe on the Fix S90 housing as a focus that will do a good focus light job.

Thanks everyone who has contributed to this thread! (especially Nemrod, Compudude and Girellator) I finally finished reading all 54 pages of it. It has been very helpful but I have still so many questions I hope someone can help me with. I recently bought the S90. I am a complete newbie to wet lenses. ( I have only previous shot with a Sony T100 point and shoot in a housing with external strobe) After reading all your postings I am probably going to get the FIX housing and probably the FIX UWL-04 and FIX single piece 52mm lens mount.
What I am really confused about is in regards to macro lenses. There just hasn't been much talk or debate about macro lenses on this thread.
I went to Backscatter recently and they showed me & recommended their FIX flip lenses. Does anyone have any experience with these? It seems like a good idea because you can easily flip in how many lenses you want to stack relatively quickly.However with these lenses in place, there is significant vignetting that requires you to zoom in in order to eliminate it. The guy at Backscatter tells me that that is not an issue because when shooting macro you want the magnification anyway. I am completely new to shooting with add on wet lenses, so I have no idea if this is true. Is this really true?
It seems like most people on this thread are using the INON 165 macro lens. Does one have to zoom in too when using the INON macro lens?
Doesn anyone know what the differences are in shooting with the INON 165 macro lenses vs the FIX flip-in macro lenses? IS there a reason why everyone on this thread seems to prefer the INON macro lenses over the FIX flip-in macro lenses?
Sorry if my questions seem silly but I am so confused!

I am not a "Macro" guy and since I seem to have done most of the lens testing and only own the Inon UCL165AD I cannot compare and frankly never use it.

But, yes, I have to zoom in order to eliminate vignetting. See, I don't understand the issue here, the whole point of macro is to take a micro image and make it big so you should zoom first and then after maximum magnification is obtained native (without accessory lens) THEN go to the accessory macro lens--fully zoomed.

Of course, I am not a macro shooter and find it terribly boring so please forgive me if I don't understand why you would want to use a macro wet lens at less than full zoom?

If it were me, I would go with the Inon lens, but again, understand where that comes from.

N

Thanks everyone who has contributed to this thread! (especially Nemrod, Compudude and Girellator) I finally finished reading all 54 pages of it. It has been very helpful but I have still so many questions I hope someone can help me with. I recently bought the S90. I am a complete newbie to wet lenses. ( I have only previous shot with a Sony T100 point and shoot in a housing with external strobe) After reading all your postings I am probably going to get the FIX housing and probably the FIX UWL-04 and FIX single piece 52mm lens mount.
What I am really confused about is in regards to macro lenses. There just hasn't been much talk or debate about macro lenses on this thread.
I went to Backscatter recently and they showed me & recommended their FIX flip lenses. Does anyone have any experience with these? It seems like a good idea because you can easily flip in how many lenses you want to stack relatively quickly.However with these lenses in place, there is significant vignetting that requires you to zoom in in order to eliminate it. The guy at Backscatter tells me that that is not an issue because when shooting macro you want the magnification anyway. I am completely new to shooting with add on wet lenses, so I have no idea if this is true. Is this really true?
It seems like most people on this thread are using the INON 165 macro lens. Does one have to zoom in too when using the INON macro lens?
Doesn anyone know what the differences are in shooting with the INON 165 macro lenses vs the FIX flip-in macro lenses? IS there a reason why everyone on this thread seems to prefer the INON macro lenses over the FIX flip-in macro lenses?
Sorry if my questions seem silly but I am so confused!

Interesting questions.

I have the Inon macro lens... and got it because it is a very nice piece of glass....however, the S90 has an issue with focus when using it, it basically wants to focus several inches in front of where you would expect it to focus...so you have to either move forward while holding the shutter down half ways, or use manual focus. Not sure why this happens, as the S90 is a contrast focus camera, and it clearly is not stopping at the highest contrast, but I know I am not the only one with the issue.

Regarding zooming.... well, if you leave the camera at 28mm equiv, macro is a couple of inches in front of the camera (or closer)... that makes lighting the object almost impossible. Zooming out give you some working distance...and working distance is a good thing... but one now gets into some design issue of a point and shoot camera. Lens on a DSLR that zoom, have their closes focus at the high end of their zoom range... you get the most magnification with say a 70 to 200 at the 200mm point. Lens in Point and shoot camera's are exactly the opposite...their closes focus and most magnification is at the widest angle...so as you zoom out, your usable focus range goes down...and while most point and shoot camera's have such small actual lens, depth of field is not that big of a concern, zooming out does reduce it.. and without any practical f stop range... there is not much you can do about it (zoomed all the way out, with the S90, you have F4.9 to F8.... just over one stop.)

So what to do? Well, I don't use that macro lens very much...unless I have a lot of time, am not moving and have something I want an image of.... I would actually consider the flip lens....they may or may not have the focus issue, but they are much easier to use...would be worth the try to me...

But just zooming out and using the macro mode can get reasonably close, so you might want to give it a try, here is a nudi, a little under an inch long using just macro

nudi940.JPG

It is so difficult using two UCL165AD Macro Lenses on my FIX S90. Firstly it vignettes terribly and have to zoom in to about 90mm. Then there is the resulting narrow focus range and minimum depth of field.

Is there anyone that uses two UCL165s stacked ?. I have seen some images in the INON website with very small critters and a lot of magnification.

Am quite satisfied with a single UCL165AD. It provides a fair amount of magnification and gives me a little more distance to the subject so I don't bump into them with slight surge. I do need to zoom (35mm) in a little to avoid vignetting but usually shoot at 90mm for maximum magnification. I like the way it performs and handles.

The fisheye with the flip lenses? Don't think I have seen any posts with someone that has that set-up.

Last edited:
I have read every single post on this thread and it does not seem like anyone is using the Fisheye flip macro lenses. If there is anyone out there using these lenses, I would greatly apppreciate any input in regards to practicality of use and in particular, any focusing issues with them. Not sure if this is going to be helpful to anyone but I will post the photos I took with the flip lenses on the dry land while trying them out in the store:

These are photos of the dial on the top of the canon housing for the S90.
This is with one of the flip lenses down at 28mm (no zoom):

Monterrey UW 086.jpg

This is with one lens flipped down with zooming in to eliminate the vignetting. Definitely had some focusing issues using autofocus. I should have spent more time playing around with it to get it in focus:
Monterrey UW 092.jpg

This is with 2 lenses flipped down and zoomed in to avoid the vignetting:
Monterrey UW 093.jpg

This is with 3 lenses flipped down and zoomed in to avoid vignetting:
Monterrey UW 097.jpg

As I had stated before, I am a complete newbie when it comes to attached wet lenses and have never tried any underwater. If anyone can tell just looking at these photos taken on dry land whether or not this would be a good/practical set up for macro (especially as compared with the INON macro lens set up), please let me know.

Thats a lot of magnification with all three lenses down . How much did you zoom in? I imagine it is very difficult to get good focus with the very narrow zoom range.

Here is a link to a thread in Wet Pixel that might be of help to you.
Inon UCL-165 vs. UCL-330 Macro close lens. - Wetpixel :: Underwater Photography Forums

I have accepted that the stacked UCL165Ads as being very challenging but not impossible.

Have you already bought the flip lens? If so then you might be the first one on this thread that would be able to make a hand-on report.

I use a single UCL-165M67 with the FIX 3 piece 67 mount and I get decent results when zoomed halfway in. Do you guys put it on macro mode when using the UCL-165?

I use the single UCL165AD zoomed to about 85mm and no macro setting. I shoot manual at 1/500 at F8 and adjust strobe power to lighten or darken.

Took some practice figuring out the focus range as it is rather narrow with the close-up lens. Even more so with 2 of them stacked.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom