Fishhook in Finger

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey, I've yanked 'em out when it's been at an angle. You may not like it, but it's an option for others.
Whatever. It is not really the point of my post, which was to point out that the need to carry a cutting tool is not just a myth, and that just having one may not be sufficient....you need to be able to get at it and it needs to be able to cut. All that string-yanking etc is for AFTER you get out of the water.....

Sorry about your accident and thank you for the suggestions.

Another thing to look out for is fish hooks in the ropes that are often used to mark a wreck. Fishermen like to tie onto the float at the top of the rope and fish the wreck. The hooks get caught in the rope and break off when the fishermen try to retrieve the line.

I have seen multiple hooks stuck in such ropes when diving the wreck. Try not to grab the ropes!

They did not knwo where the barb was nor even the curvature of the hook.

No X-ray?

We once had a guy nail his big toe to a roof -- with a nailgun -- through a steel-cap work boot. At the clinic he found out that X-ray doesn't work through steel and common surgical implements don't work well on proper work boots either.

No X-ray?

We once had a guy nail his big toe to a roof -- with a nailgun -- through a steel-cap work boot. At the clinic he found out that X-ray doesn't work through steel and common surgical implements don't work well on proper work boots either.
No x-ray. Apparently you have never been to a small clinic in a small town on a small island in eastern Indonesia....

An alternative might be to carry TWO cutting tools, one on each side so one hand doesn't have to reach both of them. Something like a Tribolite and a pair of shears, for example

I have one Trilobyte on my right harness strap to reach with my left hand and one on my compass strap (on my left wrist/arm) to reach with my right hand.

As an aside I guess this is another reason to champion barbless hooks. :D

you're gonna need a bp and wing for that......

:wink:

Whatever. It is not really the point of my post, which was to point out that the need to carry a cutting tool is not just a myth, and that just having one may not be sufficient....you need to be able to get at it and it needs to be able to cut. All that string-yanking etc is for AFTER you get out of the water.....
To be clear, I carry at least two cutting devices on every dive, so I agree with that.

My instructor was out having a fun dive when he saw a hook drop next to his wife's arm. He swooped in, wrapped the line around his hand a few times and took off. He swam a nice big box, took out his knife and cut the line.
After he got backed back to the boat he yelled over to the fisherman and asked how the fishing was. "Great! You should have seen the one that got away."

No x-ray. Apparently you have never been to a small clinic in a small town on a small island in eastern Indonesia....

I'm picturing a doctor there using an Etchasketch as an X-Ray machine?? :p

Etchasketch.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom