Flying with a Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you are forced to check your carry on bag (always carry a set of TSA locks for this scenario)

I carry a cloth shopping bag- I figure if I have to check the carry-on bag I can at least pull the regs, mask & (wrist) computer out and stuff them under my seat, along with my camera bag (hopefully). It hasn't happened so far.

I carry a cloth shopping bag- I figure if I have to check the carry-on bag I can at least pull the regs, mask & (wrist) computer out and stuff them under my seat, along with my camera bag (hopefully). It hasn't happened so far.

I have mine in a DGX regulator bag, that I can easily pull out. So if I am forced to check my roller bag, all it has in it is my pony, one of my masks, and other misc stuff that I can cheaply replace, and a dishonest bag thrower probably isn't going to steal in the first place.

Aha! I knew there was a fateful reason why we recently had to change our flight that went through Chicago! :wink:

Miami, a hub for a lot of the South American traffic, is pretty high up on the theft list too.

Now if you are flying a large airliner, the baggage is containerized so it is harder for them to steal from it.

You should have your computer in the cabin because its expensive and easy to steal. If its off it isn't measuring ambient pressure.
Not true of the Perdix (all Shearwater???). If there is a battery in it is sniffing. That was their response to me in regard to a question about flying from Denver to SLC, driving over 7200ft, and diving at 6500'.

Not true of the Perdix (all Shearwater???). If there is a battery in it is sniffing. That was their response to me in regard to a question about flying from Denver to SLC, driving over 7200ft, and diving at 6500'.
Which I believe to be a good thing. As previously stated to the best of my knowledge the ''Off' command is only for the display to reduce battery consumption. I find it interesting after diving to watch the effect of the cabin rising on the following days flight on the tissue compartment display of a Perdix. A number of Altimeter Apps for your phone will show the cabin alt/ pressure.

What would be the problem of a dive computer in an airplane compartment whether it's pressurized or not? The pressure is lower than the surface pressure in both cases.

A related question: I've guessed/assumed that "dive activated" computers are activated by detecting pressure higher than what it "knows" to be the surface pressure (likely needing it's power source to detect). Or is this done by another method?

What would be the problem of a dive computer in an airplane compartment whether it's pressurized or not? The pressure is lower than the surface pressure in both cases.

A related question: I've guessed/assumed that "dive activated" computers are activated by detecting pressure higher than what it "knows" to be the surface pressure (likely needing it's power source to detect). Or is this done by another method?
The problems in an aircraft cargo hold are: temperature, pressure, rough handling, mis-routing/loss, and theft. On a modern jet aircraft temp and pressure are basically non issues. Rough handling should be solved by you packing properly. Theft of things is something out of your control once you place it in their care. Don't put it in a checked bag if you can't afford to have it stolen or mis-routed.

As for auto on, I understand that some computers rely on wet contacts; others, like Shearwater, rely on a level of pressure that can only reasonably be achieved underwater. Both cases require that the device is "on". However, "on" is an interesting concept these days. There are very few electronic devices these days that actually turn off. Most devices when turned "off" are really just in some level of "sleep" mode. Even your phone can only be turned off-off by pulling the battery. For instance, an iPhone has three modes, on, sleep, coma. There is no true off unless you know how to open the case and pull the battery. Not a normal user ability. This is how, when a Shearwater is turned off, it still tracks you N2 levels and can auto-on if you start your dive without remembering to turn it on first. (how does one do that, anyway?)

I carry my computers in my carry-on luggage with the regulators and cameras.

The airline can lose my check bag with the BCD, wetsuit, fins, etc. but I need the other things.

I would carry on my regs and computers, but that is more about theft. If you are forced to check your carry on bag (always carry a set of TSA locks for this scenario), your computers and regs will still be in working condition when the baggage handler in Chicago goes to sell it at the pawn shop.

not sure the TSA locks are worthwhile. I had some on a recent trip and they were simply cut off or opened and thrown away. When I gave them my bag it had a lock, when I retrieved my bag - no lock. Didn't bother with them on my last trip.

not sure the TSA locks are worthwhile. I had some on a recent trip and they were simply cut off or opened and thrown away. .

Great! Based on what I read on this thread, yesterday I bought a half dozen for my next trip.

Back
Top Bottom