FMT- Cylinder position when near empty

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Eric77

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
When I breathe my Faber 95s very low to simulate a low air exit (the pics are at 500 psi per side), they float hilariously high. The leashes on the cam bands are as short as possible. The loop bungees are as tight as I can get them and still keep my fingertips. If I loosen them the valves hang low with full cylinders. I’ve tried rotating the cam bands to different clock positions.

When full (second pic), the cylinder position is acceptable (well, slightly low but it’s a work in progress).

I’m diving a nomad transpac with rails on the butt plate. I thought about putting attachment points on the nomad waist band, but I don’t think the leashes will reach up that far.

I took a sidemount course+cave 10 years ago but didn’t dive much after that. I’m trying to knock the dust off before retaking cave courses. Anyone have advice?

Attachments

• DFDBFEB0-D1AA-4348-BCE4-153B99339B8B.jpeg
    DFDBFEB0-D1AA-4348-BCE4-153B99339B8B.jpeg
    48.8 KB · Views: 145
  • BFC26E5C-458E-4612-989E-D2FEC2712469.jpeg
    BFC26E5C-458E-4612-989E-D2FEC2712469.jpeg
    36.2 KB · Views: 138
Treat them like aluminum tanks and move the clip as needed either to a slider or your front dring.

of note, with my LP85's and LP121's from Faber I still treat them like I would an AL80. These are VERY floaty tanks, more floaty than LP95's, but the 95's are still about 1.5lbs positive when empty so the butts get floaty quite early. When you see a lot of references to "Florida Sidemount Diving" much of it is done with PST or Worthington galvanized tanks that are typically around 2lbs negative when empty and that makes a lot of difference. You have to get the bottles off of the rails around 2000psi which is convenient as that is around the end of a normal cave dive so you can just leave them on, but if you're going to dive them with trimix or suck them all the way down you have to have a plan to slide them forward if you don't want them sticking up.

As said though, tighter loop bungees will help to minimize the float as bringing the necks up will cause the butts to rotate down, but they'll still be quite high.

Ok thanks. I can’t see normal situations where they’d get that low, but I figured most instructors would want their students to have a way of taking care of that problem before going through a cave class. Would you have that expectation?

Ok thanks. I can’t see normal situations where they’d get that low, but I figured most instructors would want their students to have a way of taking care of that problem before going through a cave class. Would you have that expectation?

not necessarily. The bottles will knock down if you have to go through a restriction, but you won't be doing that in a cave course. Who are you taking it with?

My previous instructor doesn’t teach anymore, so not sure yet.

I recommend getting some Sliding-D rings, that's just the way to go now-a-days. Considering you're trim is of bye 1/2 someone is gonna say something lol. How much weight are you diving with and I'm assuming by the look you are diving a drysuit?

Back
Top Bottom