• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Free of charge license for instructors

Discussion in 'Introductions & Greets' started by DivinLover, Dec 13, 2020.

1. Rose Robinson

Rose Robinson Nassau Grouper

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    Hello DL,

First and foremost, it's a certificate, not a license.

If you're working as an instructor part time, your annual part time income whether it's a large sum or a small sum, is supplemental to your full time employment, some may call it ''pen money''

If it's a full time occupation then you have something called an annual income, broken down into hours worked/rate per hour, deducted from all expenses, giving you a net income.

Only you can answer the question as to whether or not your annual net income is worth time spent/all deductions paid, per actual net income earned/received.

A lot of working folks pay some kind of dues, certification renewal/union dues/membership fees, to mention only a few.

Personally I am a member of a number of organizations to which I pay an annual fee.

I make money from this participation, are you making money from yours, remembering that making money has to give you an annual plus net, not an annual negative net.

You may be earning a million dollars a year, but if you've got a million and a half dollars in expenses and deductions...you have a serious problem!

The math is simple.

Rose.

oly5050user likes this.
  2. wedivebc

wedivebc CCR Instructor Trainer ScubaBoard Supporter

You get what you pay for

oly5050user likes this.
  3. tursiops

tursiops Marine Scientist and Master Instructor ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 2,500 - 4,999
    ...or less.
    In this case you pay nothing, but your reputation suffers if you go around waving this "license" to teach.

VikingDives likes this.
  4. lowwall

lowwall Loggerhead Turtle

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    Only to an extremely rough first approximation.

5. TMHeimer

TMHeimer Divemaster

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    I haven't posted on this thread in a while. Let me throw out this--
    Scuba agencies are like unions. In a majority of cases you have to belong to one in order to teach. Teachers unions (or Societies, like in Manitoba) automatically make you a member when you are hired. You can remain a member if you quit (or fired), but no reason to. Like me with the Musician's Union -- 35 year member but quit in '08 when the A.F. of M. no longer sponsored our summer season-- why pay the dues?
    If you can somehow get a "free" instructor gig without paying agency dues, go for it! If not, pay your agency dues and teach where you can with that. I am inactive since 2015, so have not paid PADI dues.

6. lairdb

lairdb Solo Diver

"Majority?" Fewer than 12% of jobs in the U.S; about 30% in Canada.

7. wetb4igetinthewater

wetb4igetinthewater Instructor ScubaBoard Supporter

Did anyone else find the "A few words from Olivier" to be a tad strange?

8. Pressurehead

Pressurehead ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 2,500 - 4,999
    Yes strange , could be English is his [her,may be] 2nd or 3rd language. Or is that strange Peculiar?
    We speak a form of English as our first language in OZ, so we [well I] find the US version a 'tad strange' at times.:p
    I enjoy the odd ways the forms of the language is spoken , I have good friend here who comes from Louisiana USA , he speaks English [ I think ?].

9. wetb4igetinthewater

wetb4igetinthewater Instructor ScubaBoard Supporter

Not what I was referring to at all. Btw, born in Netherlands, half Greek (spend a lot of time there, speak the language ), used to live in Australia, Russian wife (speak some Russian), so I’m pretty used to literal translations being a bit odd.

I was referring to the nonsense of not recognizing other agency certifications among other things. That’s simply not true.

10. TMHeimer

TMHeimer Divemaster

I mentioned Teachers unions, not referring to all unions/jobs in general. In which state(s)/area(s)
    can someone teach in a public school without belonging to a teachers union?