Friday Night Norte

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pre-911, people worried about planes being hi-jacked. Now steps have to be taken to prevent them from being blown out of the sky. I really don't think TSA is to blame, do you? They're simply enforcing the measures that the flying public wants.

And as a passenger who has been on a plane where a caller stated there was a bomb on board, I can tell you with authority that it is not fun. None of us enjoyed literally tearing the interior of the plane apart, looking for a bomb at 50,000 + feet while circling what appeared to be a rather small mountain; Mt Rainier. (Google it, it's not small).

Yeah, there are certainly all manner of jerks employed by TSA, but if it keeps me in the air, and some even bigger jerks on the ground, I'll happily put up with it. And if you'd had the pleasure of being with me on that flight, you wouldn't even think about a cheap pot-shot at TSA.

The difference between you and me, mediumone, is that you actually believe that the TSA makes it safer to fly. Having examined TSA’s record in that regard, I don’t. And I don’t think that legitimate criticism of an obtrusive and overzealous government is a “cheap pot-shot.” It’s merely realistic and well-deserved criticism.

The difference between you and me, mediumone, is that you actually believe that the TSA makes it safer to fly. Having examined TSA’s record in that regard, I don’t. And I don’t think that legitimate criticism of an obtrusive and overzealous government is a “cheap pot-shot.” It’s merely realistic and well-deserved criticism.

Neither you nor I have any real idea whether or not they've made flying safer. All we know for sure, is what hasn't happened. It is quite possible that we would have seen exactly the same result without the expensive, often times incompetent bureaucracy of TSA.

As I said in my post " there are certainly all manner of jerks employed by TSA".
I'm hardly a TSA shill, with pom-poms in the terminal, aisle, or tarmac, but until something better comes along. it's all we have, and from my perspective, better than nothing.

Relegating them to the obtrusive and overzealous government category is a leap that really defies logic.

I think that the only thing worse than having the TSA scrutinize passengers in airports would be having no one scrutinizing passengers in airports. Times have changed and this is the new reality. There is no turning back the clock.

Using the system on an almost daily basis, I can tell you without any hesitation at all that TSA is another wasted Govt entity! Thankfully they took away my 2 inch Swiss knife before I used it to take down a wide body :wink:

I really hate to steer this thread even more off topic..... and this is a media report so I expect that the statistics are manipulated for dramatic effect...but this is an interesting report.

TSA fails most tests in latest undercover operation at US airports

I accept the fact that if someone wants to bring down a plane, they will given enough time to plan and money to make it happen, provided they shut the hell up about their scheme. Now back to the topic thread.

Jay

I too fly quite a bit and literally every single flight I take I have something on me that I shouldn't have that gets through in all sorts of countries. In fact, I don't think I've ever once had anything confiscated. Typical items in my carry on that get through include: lighters, scissors, dive knifes (lol), pocket knives, liquids more than the limit not in sealed bags, questionable medications, and usually a combination of many and/or all of these on every flight. Never once have they caught or cared about any of it. I am a middle aged white guy which I'm sure has an impact.

Back
Top Bottom