Full foot fins for bad knees

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MtnPlayVA

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am thinking about getting a pair of full foot fins to use in the pool and on warm water trips. I currently have Mares Raptor split fins and love them but they are heavy for travel and the boots take forever to dry. I have had three knee surgeries and have a tendency to get leg cramps. I tried Mares Quattro Excel last night in the pool but I had leg cramps and my knee hurts today. Does anyone have any recommendations on full foot fins? My LDS doesn't carry them so I can't try before I buy. Thanks!

Try the Atomic Split fins. They are lightweight for traveling and because they are split, there is less strain on the your ankles and knees.

where is Virginia are you? I have a couple of pairs that you can try if you anywhere near DC

where is Virginia are you? I have a couple of pairs that you can try if you anywhere near DC
I'm in NoVA and work close to Dulles airport. It would be great to try some out before buying!

My gf and I have been very pleased with these for diving and snorkeling, and the $42 price is right:
Tusa Full Foot Split Zoom Fins reviews and discounts, Tusa

In the rankings in one of the dive magazines they were ranked as high or higher in most power and maneuverability categories than most other full foot and open heel fins. They make an open heel version as well and I have heard good reviews from people who use them.

Trigfunctions - how accurate is the sizing?

I am thinking about getting a pair of full foot fins to use in the pool and on warm water trips. I currently have Mares Raptor split fins and love them but they are heavy for travel and the boots take forever to dry. I have had three knee surgeries and have a tendency to get leg cramps. I tried Mares Quattro Excel last night in the pool but I had leg cramps and my knee hurts today. Does anyone have any recommendations on full foot fins? My LDS doesn't carry them so I can't try before I buy. Thanks!

The SCUBAPro Twin-Jets (any color except gray or black) are very soft and play nicely with damaged joints.

If you find an SP dealer, I'm almost certain they'll let you try them in to pool.

Terry

I also have had multiple knee surgeries. My open heel fins are the Mares Raptors for SCUBA.

I use the Apollo Biofin Uni with a lightweight bootie or 4mm neoprene sock. I do not know if they sell them anymore in the US. I have to say that this is my favorite all around fin for exercising and warm water diving. The Uni is sized large so it fits well with my lightweight bootie.

For freediving, I use the more flexible blade full foot pocket fins by Picasso and Waterways. I have the new Picasso soft foot pocket fin with the thinner gray plastic blade and the Waterways Captain Nemo #3 fiberglass blades.

I would second Otter's comments about the Atomic Full-Foot Splits; best performing fin I've ever used for diving. They're very fast, light, compact, have second-to-none accelleration, yet provide amazing precision around the reef in all conditions. They are also surprisingly good for frog kicks, probaby because of the great initial "snap" you can get out of them. The only issues I've had are that they occasionally give me toe blisters with repeated heavy use, and are too "springy" to be any good for snorkeling.

2005 Fin Test | Scuba Diving Magazine

I also recently got a pair of the new Mares Avanti Superchannel Full-Foot (paddle). These sport an improved softer rubber compound from previous models, and are super comfortable; very easy on the feet and legs. They are also exceptionally powerful when using scissor kicks, but are not as effective for frog kicks.

18 New Fins | Scuba Diving Magazine

These are the two best full-foots that I have ever had the pleasure of using. Of the two, I would think the new Superchannels would be the easiest for you. Having said that, the Atomics are more efficent. Both are available from Scubatoys.com. Although I have not tried them, many seem to like ForceFins. However, they are very pricey compared to the ones that I've outlined here.

Anyway, hope this helps,

Best of luck in your search!!!

Back
Top Bottom