Funniest thing you've seen underwater?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My first boat dive off of Oahu. Before departure we were told the old cattle junker had one bathroom that was off limits. After my first dive, I was resting on the boat and I couldnt hold it. Grabbed my mask, dove in and swam for the dingy (20 japanese tourists watching). I headed for the stearn of the dingy and held on in 3 foot swells, ripped my shorts down and let loose. As I was doing the deed I was head down and suddenly spotted a black mass approaching from the sea floor. Within seconds I was engulfed by a school of fish eagerly fighting for my gifts. It was like being eaten alive by pirrana. :flush:

txbohunk:
Diving at Hippy Hollow at Lake Travis many many moons ago, came upon a diver laying on his back in about 15' of water observing the school of naked women swimming above him. Yes, I joined him!

1989-1998 time frame? When I lived in TX, we were at Travis diving nearly every weekend. Hippy Hollow was and easy swim from Windy Point and I was guilty of what you described on a few occasions.

jbichsel:
1989-1998 time frame? When I lived in TX, we were at Travis diving nearly every weekend. Hippy Hollow was and easy swim from Windy Point and I was guilty of what you described on a few occasions.

So, I have to ask. Did you guys hear about the latest Hippy Hollow incident? Made national news.

A few weeks ago a Gay Pride boat cruise was passing Hippy Hollow and capsized when all aboard rushed to one side of the boat to gawk at the nude sunbathers.

I'm not making this up.

The funniest thing......? Well, I remember a dive in Pensacola, Fl off the Russian Freighter in 197? when a diver from Louisiana had the misfortune to buddy with me. No one warned him of my, somewhat, warped sense of humor. We saw a torpedo ray (electric) and I told him to grab it. They are easy to approach since THEY know only an idiot would handle them. He grabbed it and , as it was only mildly peeved, it gave him a very mild shock.
The diver looked puzzeled and let go. I'm losing a little air here. I motion to him to "grab him!". He does it again. Now, the ray is a little more annoyed so he gives him a slightly bigger jolt. Again, he lets go not knowing how this is happening. I'm losing a lot of air now!! Feeling more evil, I motion "NO! GRAB him!". Silly boy does. Now the ray is gitting pissed! This time he assures the guy what's happening and by whom.
I'm losing so much air, now, I almost drown.

I would feel bad but, having experienced the ray myself, I didn't feel I was putting him in any real danger.
When he surfaced he was laughing also, because he now knew he had been HAD.

I used to have a series of "instructor jokes" that I would use all the time.

here are some:

Electric coral
during a naturalist dive, I would have a large slate I had prepared with about 70 species of fish coral and plant so I didnt waste time writing them all down every dive. Near the bottom was ELECTRIC CORAL.

Near the end of a dive I would find two sea whips (that look like electric cables) that were less than a meter apart.

Looking at my students I very seriously give the danger signal, then take my reg out of my mouth and lick my finger and thumb. Some students clicked at this point that this was a joke, some didnt even question it. carefully to avoid damaging the coral hold the end of the coral with licked fingers and do the same with the second one. Connect the two ends to head and shake violently while rolling your eyes for about four seconds then let go and do a big "Phew" signal and shake your hands.

By now your students will be divided into two groups, those laughing violently, and those with saucer sized eyes shaking their heads in disbelief.

Pick one of those laughing and let them have a go, they will copy to the letter.

Then offer it to one from the other group and you will get an emphatic "NO WAY, NO HOW AM I TOUCHING NO ELECTRIC CORAL" signal.

If you dont want to touch coral for fear of damaging it, you can do this with twin jug sponges by placing you hands inside without touching..

Rubber snake

I have a rubber snake (named Jake) that has dived with me in nine different countries now.

to spice up a boring dive, when students are not looking, remove snake from pocket and place under a rock or in a jug sponge. wave over a student that you dont think will panic and just as the arrive, pull the snake out of its hole buy the head and wave it violently from side to side. The coiled snake will appear to "swim" through the water. After a couple of seconds of struggling , remove reg and bite the snake behind the head and let it die. Check students and they will be looking at you like you are Steve Erwin from crocodile hunter.

empty conch shell

hold it next to your ear and tell your divers that you can hear the sea. For some reason English people think this is especially funny, and German people dont get the joke at all and really listen but cant hear anything..

Cell phone

I have a small plastic cell phone (from toys r us) that is a kids bathroom toy.

Whenever someones watch or computer starts beeping, I will whip out the phone and pretend to listen to it earnestly, nodding ocasionally, then give the phone an OK signal, and hang up. On the boat afterwards I have often heard divers discussing whether they should ask me if it was real, that I really have an underwater cellphone, or whether it was a joke. I pretend I dont hear and then go round the corner to laugh my head off.

Cancun Mark,

Remind me never to dive with you. You are a hoot!

Jeff

Funniest thing I've seen underwater was a fairly new diver with a brand new digital camera, doing a "fin pivot" while trying to take a picture of a nudibranch. What made it funny was the wolf eel that swam up and laid across the back of his fins watching him. Wolfie was obviously hungry and used to being fed by divers. When I finally got the guy's attention and signaled for him to look back, he almost jumped out of his dry suit. Scared the bejeebers outta the poor wolfie ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Second hand from a friend in Maui. He was diving shallow when he sees a good looking girl in a bikini swim by. So being male, he's watching. She stops, kicks aroud for a bit, pulls off her bottoms and takes a dump right over the top of him...LMAO! I would have had to surface. He just kept quiet and swam away.

While sitting in a boat at anchor, I noticed something unusual underwater. A patch of the dark green ocean was suddenly becoming light green. Something was rising to the surface alongside the boat, and it was at least as big as a Volkswagen!
Finally, before it reached the surface, I could see what it was; a shimmering, dancing bubble. The area has a lot of whale activity, and I could only imagine it was whale gas.

3dent:
So, I have to ask. Did you guys hear about the latest Hippy Hollow incident? Made national news.

A few weeks ago a Gay Pride boat cruise was passing Hippy Hollow and capsized when all aboard rushed to one side of the boat to gawk at the nude sunbathers.

I'm not making this up.

I know you're not making it up. It was big news around here. There were 40 or so people on that barge. It sank in about 50' of water. Don't know if they raised it or it's still there.

Danny
www.divingrebels.org

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom