Garmin entering the dive industry?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My full name is "Citation needed" so I am used to clarifying, I am posting in this thread to try convince myself that I don't need to buy this device. Sigh.

And thanks for all the info, this board is such a wealth of peeps with all sorts of interesting lives.

My full name is "Citation needed" so I am used to clarifying, I am posting in this thread to try convince myself that I don't need to buy this device. Sigh.

Are you successful in this ? Just to learn from you :wink:

Are you successful in this ? Just to learn from you :wink:
Totally.

Mostly.

Probably.

Maybe.

Anyone have a discount with Garmin?

I said it before, and I'll say it again, I use this thing just as much on the surface as I do underwater. That goes a long way in justifying the price for me. At the start of my testing I wasn't sure what to think, but now you couldn't pry it out of my cold, dead hands. Garmin is going to force other manufacturers to step up their game in over all usability.

I 100% understand the lack of air integration as being an issue for many people. I can't wait to see what's next.

@Rhyno - thanks for all the info.

What would be the best way to get requested features into Garmin with some type of user vote? Do rolling / editable polls work on this forum? (objective to make like easy and clear for Garmin with a consensus from their clients / perspective clients).

I would love to see wireless (Qi) charging - I would love to be able to forget the cable and charge it next to my smartphone.

It's an amazing watch that's so well thought out (e.g. the colour screen isn't OLED but is display reflective so its easy to read in bright sun).

I was dreaming / hoping that something like this would come out of DEMA ... but, I'll wait for the MK2 for Ai (and to ensure its reliability).

What would be the best way to get requested features into Garmin with some type of user vote?

That's a great question! I don't work for Garmin and can't provide a clear answer.
They are a company that seems very responsive to user feedback. Obviously you can't make everyone happy all the time, but they do try their hardest.
One suggestion I would have is hit up their forum. Descent Mk1 - Garmin Forums
At the moment there's not a lot of traffic there, but that's likely the most direct path for user feedback I'm aware of.

It's an amazing watch that's so well thought out (e.g. the colour screen isn't OLED but is display reflective so its easy to read in bright sun).

I was dreaming / hoping that something like this would come out of DEMA ... but, I'll wait for the MK2 for Ai (and to ensure its reliability).

I 100% agree about the display. It's clearly visible in almost all conditions, and it's low power utilization generally gives me 2+ weeks of daily wear. (I think 10 days between charges is the advertised battery life)

I can't speak to the AI, however from the reliability perspective I'm very happy where Garmin is at. I can understand hesitation considering it's their first cut at a dive computer, but they have a few great divers running the program, and the interaction I've had testing has been top notch. There were some bumps along the way, but they've come a long way very quickly.

Having put quite a bit of time on it this year, side by side with my other computers, I have no problems trusting it.

Reactions: Jay
That's a great question! I don't work for Garmin and can't provide a clear answer.
They are a company that seems very responsive to user feedback. Obviously you can't make everyone happy all the time, but they do try their hardest.
One suggestion I would have is hit up their forum. Descent Mk1 - Garmin Forums
At the moment there's not a lot of traffic there, but that's likely the most direct path for user feedback I'm aware of.
There's already one wish for AI posted on the forum

You must be a member to post, someone should simply start a new thread, Descent Wish List

There's already one wish for AI posted on the forum

You must be a member to post, someone should simply start a new thread, Descent Wish List

Or maybe there should be a "Garmin" forum set up here and we direct them to it.

I'm a member on the Garmin forum. It seems to be hosed right now. Let's me login, but then acts as if I'm not logged in. First time I logged in, it even prompted me to change my password. Now let's me login with the new password. Still acts like I'm not logged in. Won't let me post at all. Tried it from a Windows machine and a Linux machine, Chrome and Internet Explorer.

Back
Top Bottom