Garmin entering the dive industry?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

...and the info in my last post came directly from one of the developers.
I guess the first one to lock their Garmin out will be able to tell us what's up. That would be a first for me in 48 years of diving. I'm not a good candidate for that experiment. :D :D :D

BTW, I get things wrong all the time about SB. Patrick didn't think you could do this, so he researched it. That's why I provided his quote. If it's wrong, I can show where I got the info.

I guess the first one to lock their Garmin out will be able to tell us what's up. That would be a first for me in 48 years of diving. I'm not a good candidate for that experiment. :D :D :D

BTW, I get things wrong all the time about SB. Patrick didn't think you could do this, so he researched it. That's why I provided his quote. If it's wrong, I can show where I got the info.

I believe Patrick is correct. What I had meant is that with my data we've found two independent internal Garmin resources that confirmed the same. I'll test this evening and get back with you.

So, let's say I do a dive with the Garmin set to GF30/50. It's my backup. I ignore it through the dive, while I'm paying attention to my Perdix, which is set to GF50/80.

When I get out, the Garmin says I skipped some deco, but the Perdix says I did all required deco.

I want to dive again, so I clear the lockout and then set the Garmin to GF50/80.

When I splash for the second dive, the Garmin will behave exactly as if I had had it set to GF50/80 from the beginning (before the first dive)?

I expect the answer is yes, but it sure would be nice to get confirmation from a Garmin developer or someone who talks to a developer....

Whatever happened to Philippe Khan?

You made me look at The Wiki Of The Thousand Lies. If anyone brings a usable "biometrics" and/or dead-reckoning navigation to a dive computer, my bet would be on him.

You made me look at The Wiki Of The Thousand Lies. If anyone brings a usable "biometrics" and/or dead-reckoning navigation to a dive computer, my bet would be on him.

You're right. I remember when he came up with the concept of the camera phone. I wonder if he got royalties for that? He was my hero for years...

The lockout is an on/off setting done once, must be before a dive ie you can’t decide in the water you don’t want it.
Once off it stays off until reenabled.

I guess the first one to lock their Garmin out will be able to tell us what's up.

I did some testing in my chamber last night. It looks like the answer is a little from column A, a little from column B.

1.) Signs are pointing to the 'lockout enabled' flag being an on/off setting that is modified once, not once per lockout. I'll update after 24 hours has elapsed, however I have no reason to believe it will reenable.
2.) It does not need to be disabled prior to the dive. I did a ~15 min dive to 100', and blew past my first deco stop, yet followed a stepped decompression roughly 10' above the displayed Deco ceiling. After the dive ended I was alerted and the following screen was immediately displayed. https://drive.google.com/open?id=1XZdYWgPLmmzc-GMEhe6pZf9TrCmcQbYh. Afterward I disabled deco lockout and performed a subsequent dive.

I haven't forgotten about the question of multiple dives with disparate GF's. I did some preliminary tests, however I want to wait another 24 hours and retest to get a more complete answer.

Thanks!

I meant that you couldn't disable the lockout during the dive, ie you didn't notice the issue and splashed in again without looking at the computer.

Ahh! That makes a lot more sense. I completely misread what you were saying. Thanks for the clarification.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom