Garmin entering the dive industry?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I do know civilian GPS does not penetrate far underwater. I have no idea at all of what any Garmin diving equipment does or not do, I was just speculating (facetiously) that if they did make some form of dive computer I would (bearing in mind my Satnav experience) be reluctant to rely on it, suspecting it could lead me astray in all 4 dimensions if they can't get it right in 2 dimensions.

I do know civilian GPS does not penetrate far underwater.
Neither does military GPS. In fact, above water, we all use the same satellites. Underwater navigation is done with accelerometers, compasses and gyroscopes from a known location. Extrapolating from an anecdotal experience to condemn Garmin is a bit myopic in my view.

I do know civilian GPS does not penetrate far underwater. I have no idea at all of what any Garmin diving equipment does or not do, I was just speculating (facetiously) that if they did make some form of dive computer I would (bearing in mind my Satnav experience) be reluctant to rely on it, suspecting it could lead me astray in all 4 dimensions if they can't get it right in 2 dimensions.
Your attempt at humour is going over their heads.

Your attempt at humour is going over their heads.
Thank you for realising it was intended as a humorous post, but not without some questioning of the reliability of technology.
I was once at a management meeting, the Managing Director (my boss) was an American. He was suggesting some changes in the factory that I was against. I would be left to sort the mess if the changes did not work. He called me a dinosaur. I knew what he meant but responded by saying "Oh thank's for the compliment". He was speechless and but most of the others (all English) knew what I meant, and the accountant suggested that I explain to our American colleague. I pointed out that dinosaurs had ruled the earth for over 50 million years and would probably still be doing so but for a bit of bad luck with an asteroid. Humans on the other hand had nearly wrecked the planet in less than a million years.
Reason I will probably never have a dive computer is because I will only do a relatively small number of shallower dives for which a table is easy to use.

... but not without some questioning of the reliability of technology.

FYI, there had been earlier comments regarding reliability of other Garmin fitness products. Garmin designed the MK1 to isolate non-dive features to bolster dive reliability during diving. If you're up for a read this earlier article (and comments) Hands-on: Garmin’s New Descent MK1 Diving Watch are interesting (non UK use of the word*).

*BTW (UK use), here's the lost in translation table:
Screen Shot 2018-02-12 at 1.42.24 pm.png

Garmin buys their map data from a 3rd party. Nav Tech, I think.

It can take a while from building a new road to someone mapping it for Nav Tech to Garmin getting the updated data from Nav Tech to releasing a Garmin update.

Moral of the story: Definitely do not rely on a Descent for street address navigation or speed limit information during a dive!

My point was that as Garmin can lead you astray on the surface, should you rely on them underwater?

Absolutely, as long as you don't use them for navigation: that's the only part they couldn't get quite right for a couple of decades. Stuff they don't specialize in they do perfectly fine.

Stuff they don't specialize in they do perfectly fine.
This leads me to believe that I can master a lot of things... :)

Imagine if they have been secretly working on the problem of underwater inertial navigation and developed a commercial product. Now THAT would be cool. I am the king of low-tech, but even I would bite at that.
They already have those; the US military has had them for years. Something to do with GPS or manual source fix to start and updating position from a gyroscope. Now it just needs official declassification and sale- and someone willing to pay whatever huge cost one is.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom