Garmin entering the dive industry?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is the "analog" watch shown in the picture an electronic rendition/emulation of an analog watch face?
Yes. They are interchangeable with downloadable custom versions.

Yes. They are interchangeable with downloadable custom versions.
I've found no faces for the Descent yet, but I bet they'll be out soon. I can't get the 5 to cross over, but I might be missing something simple.

I've attempted to use watch faces for the 5 with good success, but never found any I really liked. I honestly don't remember the procedure as it seemed pretty intuitive. Let me know if you continue having issues, I'll give it another shot.

Is the "analog" watch shown in the picture an electronic rendition/emulation of an analog watch face?

Here Connect IQ | Garmin is everything you can "put" on Descent MK1!

Yesterday I (finally!) got mine Silver Sapphire Descent MK1 with Black Band! It is incredible watch - really true all-in-one instrument in the size of the watch!
39452974034_98164b3009_b.jpg

Last edited:
I doubt if I will ever use a dive computer but if Garmin makes one I would be extremely wary of using it. My son bought a new Garmin Sat Nav about a week ago and we tried it out driving from Cumbria to Leeds on Thursday. On the A1 south of scotch corner it showed we were driving through fields. The A1 has been relocated for at least 18 months now. This error is exactly the same as on a 14 year old non updated sat nav I have on another car. On the M1 and into Leeds it frequently gave the wrong speed limits both high and low.
In this area quite a few of the minor roads have signs saying "do not follow sat nav" I suppose the equivalent in diving wold be notices on the seabed advising you to ignore your dive computer.

To the Chairman - Hi, I used to work for and American company (Glitsch in Dallas, now part of Koch) so I know Americans don't always get UK sense of humour. My sons Garmin was fully updated the night before we set off but it still was not accurate. There are issues in the UK with updating geographical info, for example building work I did in the 1990s and 2000s has still not been incorporated on Ordnance Survey maps. As OS is where most systems get their info from there are bound to be discrepancies. Regarding the speed limits I have no idea why Garmin was wrong. My point was that as Garmin can lead you astray on the surface, should you rely on them underwater?

My point was that as Garmin can lead you astray on the surface, should you rely on them underwater?
You do realize that there is no underwater mapping function. GPS signals can't penetrate more than a couple of inches through water (if that much). However, the compass seems to be very accurate.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom