Garmin entering the dive industry?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Garmin have the resources and $ to try and figure out UW “GPS”. This is going to interesting.
They've got to beat physics first. The underwater nav problem -- acoustically based -- has been solved many times, very successfully. It is just big and costly and needs the UW equivalent of satellites...something to provide a signal to work from. the physics demands acoustics, and the acoustics demands size.

They've got to beat physics first. The underwater nav problem -- acoustically based -- has been solved many times, very successfully. It is just big and costly and needs the UW equivalent of satellites...something to provide a signal to work from. the physics demands acoustics, and the acoustics demands size.

Electronic underwater navigation will happen some day, underwater GPS will not. Personally, surface GPS is enough for me right now.

Electronic underwater navigation will happen some day, underwater GPS will not. Personally, surface GPS is enough for me right now.

well.. garmin provide a compass on this watch .. much like the other dive computer... guess its good enough for now..

the included charging cradle and it mounts as a USB mass storage device.

Easy transfer to your PC

(emphasis above is mine) They just lowered their price by $100 to all of the competitors that can't seem to figure out that their <frustration expletives deleted> $5 cable is a horrible way to engender customer loyalty. Welcome Gamrin!!!!!

Does it ever lock into gauge mode for any reason?
Yes, it will lock you out if you violate protocol too greatly.

Are gas switches as simple as 1 or 2 button presses?
Yes, gas switches are simple. If prompted for a gas switch it's a simple press to confirm.

I think I saw a picture, possibly in the DC Rainmaker review(?), that appeared to be showing an alert message about a ppO2 violation. It LOOKED like the alert would pop up taking over the whole screen. I would not like that, at all. I don't want it to do anything that would make my critical info be not displayed. Don't make me have to use a hand to clear a message just to get back to being able to see my critical. My hands might be busy.
Correct. The alert does cover the full screen. You have audible, visual, and vibratory alerts available. The alert is on screen a few seconds before automatically clearing.

Does it have a timer/stopwatch function I can use during a dive?
I can't speak to the production firmware, however I have not seen this in the beta.

When/if they add AI, will they include good support for AI in sidemount?
Only Garmin knows their plans. but I think it would be crazy for them to not. The industry seems to be adopting sidemount nicely in new products. The Mk1 includes multi-gas support already.

anyone at dema to ask some of these question.. maybe take more pictures?
Anything specific that you're wanting pictures of?

Reactions: Jay
Correct. The alert does cover the full screen. You have audible, visual, and vibratory alerts available. The alert is on screen a few seconds before automatically clearing.

Thanks for all the info.

If you happen to miss the alert when it's "on screen a few seconds" does it show any indicator when it gets back to the Dive screen that there is/was an alert?

The way you describe it makes it sound like, if you have audible alerts turned off, you didn't notice the vibration through your drysuit, and you were looking the other way for a few seconds, then you could completely miss an alert and never even know about it at all.

Anyway, the bit about locking you out probably takes it off my list to even consider - and most other tech divers' lists as well, I would guess. But, it would depend on exactly what conditions trigger the lockout.

I would still like to know if you can change GF settings during a dive.

I can't speak to the production firmware, however I have not seen this in the beta.
Can't speak to Mk1 firmware regarding timers, but if my experience with Fenix 5, upon which this dive computer is based, is any indicator: the timer is a self-contained app you can typically invoke by either going back to the Watch page (long press on one of the buttons), or getting to Shortcuts page where you can configure a shortcut to the timer, or configuring one the buttons to start the timer directly.

That being said, I read that all Connect IQ apps and possibly all other functionality will be disabled when Mk1 is in the dive mode. So, I'm fairly certain this might affect regular watch screen navigation and timers.

Back
Top Bottom