gauge and computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bigtim6656

Reaction score
KEY LARGO florida diving capital of the world
# of dives
25 - 49
When I bought my gear in march from St I thought of adding a a simple depth, air guage for safety in case my atom 2 computer, the transmitter (hoseless). After talking to a few people, I opted not to at the time. With a move to key largo, and plans to wreck diving, penetraiton one day, and a few hiccups with my computer I am rethinking the idea.

My dad is concerned with me seeing the watch at depth in a wreck and I see his point. Plus when your going along or holding on a line it is kind of a pain.

My thought is
this
Pony Bottle Gauge discounts on sale Genesis
or
OxyCheq Brass Pressure Gauge discounts on sale OxyCheq
setup so it is mounted to my bc where I can just look at it and have my hands free, should the need a raise or a issue with my computer.
One thing i have noticed is sometimes the atom 2 loses the signal so I have to stop and wait to see if it comes back. Though it always has done so. NOt sure a depth gauge would be needed, as if the watch fails, I just call the dive, use my buddy to give the depth on the way up and when to hold for a safety stop.

I don't see the harm in having a back-up SPG. A simple 'naked' metal SPG on an appropriately sized HP hose is ideal. If can feed down the left side of your cylinder, under your arm and then be clipped off on the left hip or chest D-ring. If you would be penetrating wrecks, it is critical that you are streamlined and minimize any projecting items of kit that could get entangled or snagged. The correct routing of your hoses is a crucial aspect of this.

I was thinking the same thing, run it down the take maybe some time of strap then run around to my d ring, OF course streamlined is a concern, I have been taking care to pull everything in close to get ready for the wreck diving.

SPG works well when tied to a simply SS bolt-snap. Same goes for just about any other accessory you might want to carry (torch, camera etc).

images

Search the forum for details of the knot used. The line is nylon braided 'cave' line...like you would get on a reel...

http://www.divegearexpress.com/library/boltsnap.shtml

I would go with backup gauges for everything. I have a wrist mounted computer, an AI computer and a SPG. he AI computer loses the signal on occasion, but it does come back. I am still in the habit of checking both gauges as it is, the spg more frequently than the AI computer.

I don't dive AI....

But I dive two computers one on each wrist, both Suuntos with the same deco algorithm...

For tank pressure I have a simple SPG....

Wrist mounting as it is easier by glancing down so I can check depth, NDL and dive time which I look at much more frequently than air pressure....

For tank pressure I clip the SPG to my left chest d-ring running the hose under my arm, so it is also easy to check by looking down, a SPG is about is about a basic instrument as you can get so I think very reliable.

For the OP I would keep the AI computer, buy a non-AI unit with the same algorithm and add an SPG.....at least that is what I would do.......

Hope this helps......M

I think thats the ticket, simple and steamlined
SPG works well when tied to a simply SS bolt-snap. Same goes for just about any other accessory you might want to carry (torch, camera etc).

images

Search the forum for details of the knot used. The line is nylon braided 'cave' line...like you would get on a reel...

How to Attach a Snap - Dive Gear Express

I have dived with AI computor for over 10 years and have always had a SPG back up. During that time I have had 2 problems with transmiters and 1 with the computor it's self. Equally I have had 2 SPG's fail over that period as well! Nothing is perfect have both.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom