Getting First Wing Setup, NEED HELP

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Europeans use mostly steel tanks AFAIK:

Finnsub gives what single tank wings used with what tank(s):

FLY 13D: 133 N (30 lb) for mono tank 10 l, 12 l, 15 l

FLY 17D: 174 N (38 lb) for mono tank 12 l, 15 l, 18 l

The FLY 13D is for tanks sizes less thank 18L assuming no other heavy equipment used and it will do fine for that purpose but the FLY17D is used when you are using an 18L steel tank or smaller tank with other heavy equipment. Both are for single tanks.

Based on where you are located, I wouldn't consider anything else. Finnsub has a lot of other accessories for the BC's that will be cheap to ship to you either from their dealers in the UK or other European countries. I have compared their products to products from the known brand names and found that they are the best value with best quality and durability. Their entire products line is made in the EU and nothing from Asia as I was told. Their inflators with metal parts are first rate (made in Italy) and so are the other parts of their system. They have two version of their harness, comfort and tech. Their comfort harness is much more easily adjustable and has weight pockets and would work well with any type of recreational diving in addition to technical diving. Their "DIR" system is just that, DIR. The various weights they have to attach to the system are the widest selection among all other BP/W mfg. out there. Shipping and customer service is easy considering that they are virtually local and have MANY dealer in your area. Their quality, options and pricing are very attractive to us that we are considering using their systems in our dive school when we couldn't afford to do it with any other system we studied from many other brand name companies. Their comfort harness is so easy to adjust, it will make teaching entry level recreational students in BP/W setups much easier and less time consuming compared with all others.

BTW, they have a 6kg steel plate in addition to the other plates.

Last edited:
Europeans use mostly steel tanks AFAIK:

Finnsub gives what single tank wings used with what tank(s):

FLY 13D: 133 N (30 lb) for mono tank 10 l, 12 l, 15 l

FLY 17D: 174 N (38 lb) for mono tank 12 l, 15 l, 18 l

The FLY 13D is for tanks sizes less thank 18L assuming no other heavy equipment used and it will do fine for that purpose but the FLY17D is used when you are using an 18L steel tank or smaller tank with other heavy equipment. Both are for single tanks.

Based on where you are located, I wouldn't consider anything else. Finnsub has a lot of other accessories for the BC's that will be cheap to ship to you either from their dealers in the UK or other European countries. I have compared their products to products from the known brand names and found that they are the best value with best quality and durability. Their entire products line is made in the EU and nothing from Asia as I was told. Their inflators with metal parts are first rate (made in Italy) and so are the other parts of their system. They have two version of their harness, comfort and tech. Their comfort harness is much more easily adjustable and has weight pockets and would work well with any type of recreational diving in addition to technical diving. Their "DIR" system is just that, DIR. The various weights they have to attach to the system are the widest selection among all other BP/W mfg. out there. Shipping and customer service is easy considering that they are virtually local and have MANY dealer in your area. Their quality, options and pricing are very attractive to us that we are considering using their systems in our dive school when we couldn't afford to do it with any other system we studied from many other brand name companies. Their comfort harness is so easy to adjust, it will make teaching entry level recreational students in BP/W setups much easier and less time consuming compared with all others.

BTW, they have a 6kg steel plate in addition to the other plates.
Ok but what apeks? I have heard that they're absolutely bulletproof. So I have to decide between apeks and finnsub. The PSD version of the wtx d 40 has a better abrasion resistant bladder and Dries much quicker. That is basically why I can't decide. That would be very helpful if staying in a hotel or something and can't leave wing at dive centre. Any one have any experience with apeks wings?

In my region, [edited for clarification] a Finnsub bpw is like 600-700€ new, while I can get a bpw for ~400 from DTD or DIR-zone, and that's already more than I'd be happy to spend on it...

YMMV. I have no experience with apeks nor finnsub, just pointing to potentially cheaper and still very functional solutions...

I'm also curious as to why DSS has been dismissed, though I'm not sure about the presence of a dealer in Europe? Blue orb is listed on the site of DSS, but I can't find anything on their site (plus the site of DSS seems to have a dead link). @cool_hardware52 ?

Last edited:
Ok but what apeks? I have heard that they're absolutely bulletproof. So I have to decide between apeks and finnsub. The PSD version of the wtx d 40 has a better abrasion resistant bladder and Dries much quicker. That is basically why I can't decide. That would be very helpful if staying in a hotel or something and can't leave wing at dive centre. Any one have any experience with apeks wings?

I have seen a sample of the Apeks PSD wings and they appear to have very strong coating on the outer bag. I have no personal experience with this type of material. I never had to worry about drying quicker myself when I went diving on vacation. There was always an option for drying my equipment and drying speed was never an issue for me. Worst thing, I hang my equipment in the shower or in the balcony in my hotel room but I don't remember having to do that in the last few years.

You are not going to go wrong with either option at the end. I have the option to buy Apeks, Scubapro, Hollis, etc. but I chose the best value and the most durable with lots of options, accessories and personal contact with the mfg. The Finnsub option is about 100 Euros less than the other big brand names and has one of the most durable material (not going to say most durable) for the wings.

In my region, Finnsub is like 600-700€ new

WOW, that is WAY above suggested retail price for the Finnsub product. What model are you talking about and what options? Where are you?

Just in case there was a misunderstanding, I'm talking full sets. I'll edit the post above

Only one dealer in France, which is here
FINNSUB - DIVEAVENUE

So I'm not too sure our buddy here is gonna have a much better price than us. Comparing it to Apeks you're probably in the same price range, but DTD or DIR-zone are far cheaper.

Just in case there was a misunderstanding, I'm talking full sets. I'll edit the post above

Only one dealer in France, which is here
FINNSUB - DIVEAVENUE

So I'm not too sure our buddy here is gonna have a much better price than us. Comparing it to Apeks you're probably in the same price range, but DTD or DIR-zone are far cheaper.

The 699 euro price is for a complete COMFORT harness system with weight pockets, etc. You need to compare apples to apples with other vendors. Finnsub's DIR harness with wing is only circa 490 euros.

Last edited:
I'm very happy with my Techline BP/W setup. Similar to the DTD stuff, looks almost identical to the Deep6 wings as well. Polish company. Would buy again.

Local pricing on the FinnSub stuff is pretty similar though, only slightly more expensive. These guys carry a lot of the brands mentioned in this thread:

Techduikshop.nl

I'm very happy with my Techline BP/W setup. Similar to the DTD stuff, looks almost identical to the Deep6 wings as well. Polish company. Would buy again.

Local pricing on the FinnSub stuff is pretty similar though, only slightly more expensive. These guys carry a lot of the brands mentioned in this thread:

Techduikshop.nl

Can you give me the full name of "Techline" and "DTD" please? I am trying to look them up but I am not getting what I think should be the appropriate links.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom