Getting First Wing Setup, NEED HELP

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Steel SCUBA Tanks 300 bar Yes they exist. And yes they do weigh a ton, they are 21 kg which is 45 pounds

It is one big mother tank. It isn't just heavy, it is also longer than even the 18L/232B tank. Why would you want this tank? It is very long and very heavy.

It is one big mother tank. It isn't just heavy, it is also longer than even the 18L/232B tank. Why would you want this tank? It is very long and very heavy.
id rather something smaller but sometimes at a divecentre you dont have a choice, its good that its heavier tho, as you can take weight off belt

I have seen a sample of the Apeks PSD wings and they appear to have very strong coating on the outer bag. I have no personal experience with this type of material. I never had to worry about drying quicker myself when I went diving on vacation. There was always an option for drying my equipment and drying speed was never an issue for me. Worst thing, I hang my equipment in the shower or in the balcony in my hotel room but I don't remember having to do that in the last few years.

You are not going to go wrong with either option at the end. I have the option to buy Apeks, Scubapro, Hollis, etc. but I chose the best value and the most durable with lots of options, accessories and personal contact with the mfg. The Finnsub option is about 100 Euros less than the other big brand names and has one of the most durable material (not going to say most durable) for the wings.
I'm not disagreeing with you, but just out of curiosity what makes you say finnsub wings are better than apeks psd wing?

Btw I've done some research between apeks and finnsub. Everything is the same on each one, same backplate, harness, and 30 lbs lift capacity. From the same website also, mikesdivestore.

The result is Finnsub Apeks
€465 €475

So......... very little difference. The thing is though, apeks has a better wing but doesn't have the option for the backplate to be 6mm, whereas finnsub has a very, very slightly lower quality wing but does have the option for a 6mm backplate. At least if its not an apeks BP.

I know backplates are meant to be universal but I've heard of some guys with backplates that got in the way of the pull dump or something?? Can someone explain this? Also would the mares XR backplate fit Perfectly in an apeks wtx d30 wing?

And yes I've decided to go with your guys advice and get the 30 pound version. Revan are you proud of me? Hahahaha

Last edited:
I have an Apeks SS plate and #30 wing, although not PSD version. To be honest, I don't think you could accidentally damage it. I have seen Mares XR plate, and it seems that it is wider than Apeks plate, and also it seems to dig into the wing due to its shape.

finnsub wings are better than apeks psd wing?

I wasn't referring to the Apeks PSD wings, I meant the regular wings. I don't have experience with the PSD wings other than seeing/touching them at an AL/Apeks seminar. The PSD version is still fairly new to the market (perhaps 2 - 3 years only). The Finnsub wings are more durable than the other big name brand standard wings.

What harness are you looking at in the Finnsub line btw, the DIR or the comfort?

What I also liked about Finnsub is the fact that they have many accessories to choose from for their BC's including different types of weights to suit your system and achieve proper trim based on your rig.

the finnsub had a heavier outer shell (2000 vs 1000 denier cordura), but otherwise seems very similar. My Tecline is also 1000D and pretty damn tough - or sure the slight weight penalty would be worth the 'gain' in toughness to me.

As for accessories - I could mount my Tecline weight pockets on my girlfriend's Scubapro BP/W not problem, and I actually use DTD trim pockets (because they're more streamlined than the Tecline ones I have, but also lower capacity). Most BP/W pockets and accessory systems are compatible across brands.

I wasn't referring to the Apeks PSD wings, I meant the regular wings. I don't have experience with the PSD wings other than seeing/touching them at an AL/Apeks seminar. The PSD version is still fairly new to the market (perhaps 2 - 3 years only). The Finnsub wings are more durable than the other big name brand standard wings.

What harness are you looking at in the Finnsub line btw, the DIR or the comfort?

What I also liked about Finnsub is the fact that they have many accessories to choose from for their BC's including different types of weights to suit your system and achieve proper trim based on your rig.
Dir harness

I have the Tecline Donut 15 wing system (33lb lift) with 3mm SS backplate and it's excellent with my 12L 300bar Faber cylinder although I opted for the addition of a single tank adapter as I found that the integrated STA allows the cylinder a little too much lateral motion, other than that the quality appears to be very good. I dive an O3 msf500 neoprene drysuit with a couple of kg in trim pouches on the cam bands and 2Kg ditchable (6Kg in salt water) but don't put air into the suit for anything other than taking the squeeze off. Also bear in mind that my 300bar cylinder is almost 3kg negative when empty (very similar to 15L 300bar).
If I'm using the setup with a 3mm shortie or a skin in nice warm salt water (holidays only unfortunately) then a couple of kg of ditchable weight along with an AL100 cylinder is perfect.

BTW, some have recommendations against overkill materials (typically 2000deniers) as it could make the wings too stiff.

I guess others could chime in on that, as I never really looked into it, just something I read here a while ago...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom