Getting First Wing Setup, NEED HELP

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BTW, some have recommendations against overkill materials (typically 2000deniers) as it could make the wings too stiff.

This is "new" information to me.

BTW, some have recommendations against overkill materials (typically 2000deniers) as it could make the wings too stiff.

I guess others could chime in on that, as I never really looked into it, just something I read here a while ago...

it's an often cited problem with oxycheq because their wings don't travel and pack well. There is a balance that you have to work with. 2000d is way too heavy, 1050 is more than sufficient and will have better puncture resistance because it's end and pick count is going to be 2x as high. Much lower than that and you decrease your abrasion resistance and that's not a good thing

2000 is twice what is used on eg an Xdeep wing, which is already pretty bulletproof if you ask most people...

Not saying it's a huge issue, just saying that some have argued against those wings here around.

So apeks wtx 30 psd wing is perfect. The shell is armoguard not cordura,so it has a much higher abrasion resistance (slick skin-things won't catch onto material) but is lighter than finnsub material wing material.

I'll get the 30 pound version because of you guys's opinion, and if I happen to have to use a steel 15L 300 BAR, I'll wear a drysuit for added buoyancy if needed and I'll get the dsmb and lift bag eventually. Sound good?

I've found that drysuit diving in colder climates gives me a much more enjoyable diving experience, especially when I'm doing multiple dives in a day.
With regard to the Apeks wing; I'd personally avoid a pull dump on the inflator hose as it means that, should the dump fail in the open position, you'll struggle to get air into the wing but I don't think it would be a deal breaker if the price was right as I generally have a dsmb and drysuit for backup buoyancy in any case. Just something to be aware of.

The most important thing that I've found, regardless of which gear you use, is diving the same setup regularly so that you become used to it. My air consumption increases noticeably if I'm using any new gear that affects my trim.

@Froggle, as far as I know Apeks wings do not have pull dump as standard.
The wing mentioned by the OP appears to have one, according to the technical specs on the Apeks website, hence my comment

I've dove only Apeks, so can not make any meaningful comparisons. I have regular #30 wing, SS backplate and DIR harness.
Plate and harness, not much to tell.
Wing is IMO a nice one, for me at least. I dive with steel 15, which is easy to trim either in wetsuit or drysuit. Outer shell is rugged, unless you want to go sliding on it down the hill, access to the bladder is easy. Shell does not keep to much water in itself, so it dries relatively quickly. It comes with tank stabilizers.
It has two cambands with plastic buckles which seem to be sturdy enough, which can be used to mount trim pockets, only you need to discard rubber pad.
My wing does not have an inflator pull dump, only lower dump valve, with pull knob easy to locate, even with thick gloves.
Only con is wing is quite fat, so if you position your wing and tank at accepted point (you can search here on SB), when fully inflated it pushes on the bottom of first stage a little. It is not a big problem since you only inflate it at the surface. It does not taco a lot, at least on steel 15 and short alu 12. It dumps air easy, until few last bubbles, which I find easier to dump though inflator, just by raising my shoulder.
If you want to disassemble your BCD, you need to pull out cambands, but that is a case with most other wings on the market.
You may like it different way, but I bolted my wing, so it is snug and easier to put on a tank, otherwise it hangs on your bands.
I can't say if it's the best wing, but this is what my LDS had and I'm happy with it.
Hope this helps.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom