Getting First Wing Setup, NEED HELP

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

EireDiver606

Contributor
Reaction score
Hello, I am new to scubaboard and I have a number of questions that need to be answered!

I am looking for a singles wing that will accommodate a steel 300 bar 15 litre single cylinder in saltwater wearing 7/5 mil neoprene wetsuit. Not very balanced, I know, but these are my conditions. I have done my research and understand less clutter is better and the DIR setup is by far safer. That is why I have come to scubaboard, I need info. I have looked into a number of brands and am considering apeks, finnsub, and a few others. Specifically the apeks wtx d 40 (pounds) psd and finnsub fly 17d (kilos) wing.

I know the 30 pound version is better for trim and everything else, but a very experienced tech diver (mentor) at a dive show said that he would go normally for a 30 pound wing but in the Atlantic Ocean, using a steel 15litre 300 bar cylinder and wearing a heavy wetsuit (which inherent buoyancy is lost deeper), he said you would be a bit pinched for lift capacity and so then he would justify a 40 pound single wing. Can I get your thoughts on this? What do you recommend 30/40 in my scenario? (Could you justify 40 pounds?) I'd rather know from a collection of knowledgable divers than one very knowledgable diver, btw he wasn't trying to sell it to me, it was just advice FYI.

What wing brands would you guys recommend? That coincide with my needs, at least 30 pounds. PLEASE DO NOT RECOMMEND BRANDS LIKE HOG OR OXYCHEQ AS I AM BASED IN EUROPE NOT AMERICA. However brands like Hollis do sell in Europe :)

Also what brand does the best quality, easiest (cinch?) system,comfortable, most durable, all round best single piece webb harness. I've heard apeks have a very uncomfortable single piece harness?

I think I've made my mind up about the backplate and I think I will go for the 6mm 316 SS backplate from Mares XR as I would like to get as much weight off my belt while still having 4kg or so of ditchable weight, if need be.

Please give me a detailed answer and I hope this was not too long. Thanks for reading.

consider Deep Sea Supply which does sell in Europe and will sell direct to Ireland from there. They have weight plates that you will be able to put on the plate to make it heavier. Torus 35 or LCD40 will be better than most companies 40lb wings because of the shape.

You do not need a cinch harness if the backplate is sized appropriately and you have a properly fit wing. DSS has a very good cinch system if you feel you need it.

If you are adamant about the Mares XR, then just get their 16kg single wing and you'll save money and it will be fine.

I have two Hollis 38lb single wings and have been very happy with them. The have internal bands inside to keep everything tight. The red and black, eh, don't care too much about it personally, but some people don't like it. Link: S38 LX WING w/ slots

I really don't think the cinch is that huge of a benefit. I had one in the past and never adjusted it. Once you get everything set up, you'll be good. It may take a few (or more) dives to get it all set how you want it, so be patient.

I'd run my DSS Steel plate setup, LCD30 wing, 10 pound weight plates. Wear a rubber weight belt and weight yourself without the scuba unit 1st. Then try the weight plates later.

With my SS weight plates I'm cutting it really close on the rig with a 30 pound wing and a steel tank, but it seems to work ok.

I have the DSS glide harness cinch thingy. Haven't tried it yet, don't need it. I can get in and out of the rig with no effort. Out in maybe 3 seconds.

I'm oddly shaped. A BP/W isn't comfy on land, but disappears under water. Don't worry about how it feels at first. Just do the best you can, it'll get better.

Also what brand does the best quality, easiest (cinch?) system,comfortable, most durable, all round best single piece webb harness. I've heard apeks have a very uncomfortable single piece harness?
Best single piece of harness = DIY.
If you want a bit of comfy then use old wet suit material to make tubular padding on the shoulder.

I always reccomend DSS because I love mine. Didn't realize you had easy access in Europe. I'm perfectly fine in my full 7mm, hood, gloves, booties. With a Torus 26 and SS plate. Nice thing about the 26 is its plenty of lift for me with a steel HP100 and also doubles as a streamline tropical wing for travel. I also bought a torus 35 only because I now dive dry. I still prefer my 26 for any wetsuit diving. Harness seems to be as comfortable as it can be for 2" webbing. It's just a great setup for an awesome price. I imagine mine will last me a lifetime.

Take a look on Halcyon Infinity eclipse system with cinch included .. They offer 30 or 40 lb lifting power of the wing of your choice..
If you get the SS plate it weights around 6 lb , and you can choose to get convertible single tank adapter that holds another 6 lb .. Also you will get the ABC weight system where you can put max of 5 lb each side of your hips (10 lb total).

They are a bit expensive but really nice..
Also in the future if you decided to dive with double tank you can only buy the wing and replace it instead of eclipse..

You may consider as well XDEEP , they have nice wings/back plates and based in Europe as far as I understand.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom