Getting into Tech Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just a couple of comments. GUE is one of the technical training bodies but there are others equally good. A lot will depend on what's available to you locally.

And although I agree that a harness and wing is de rigeur, a backplate is not. So many people seem to think that "tech diving" implies "BP/W". I did my first few tech dives, probably over 1000 of them, without ever using a backplate. Although I now own several and use them from time to time, I'm personally not really a fan of them. I find them too constricting, and only use them when I'll be carrying so much junk that I need that rigidity. I've done countless tech dives with up to four standard tanks using a soft-back harness.

Just a couple of comments. GUE is one of the technical training bodies but there are others equally good. A lot will depend on what's available to you locally.

And although I agree that a harness and wing is de rigeur, a backplate is not. So many people seem to think that "tech diving" implies "BP/W". I did my first few tech dives, probably over 1000 of them, without ever using a backplate. Although I now own several and use them from time to time, I'm personally not really a fan of them. I find them too constricting, and only use them when I'll be carrying so much junk that I need that rigidity. I've done countless tech dives with up to four standard tanks using a soft-back harness.

I certainly do not think that advising a newbie to go against conventional gear standards is wise, nor is the gue refrance. If he was stuck in "gue" /sorry to easy/ He would not be here seeking advice, and non-standard gear is reserved for people with the chops to make those choices and live with the consequences.
Eric

"Non standard"? What's non-standard about what I suggested? Maybe not what you use, but pretty standard nonetheless.

There aren't any formal 'standards' in tech diving. The only standards that exist are those defined by individual agencies, or by certain 'methodologies' (Hogarthian, DIR etc).

Hogathian diving methodology is very popular amongst the tech community...and tends to be reflected to a greater or lesser degree in the approach of most tech agencies.

Metal (SS/Ali) backplates are very popular amongst the tech community. I am not aware that they are specifically proscribed by any training standards? (Do GUE/UTD require solid/metal BP?)

There are many views on this. I chose not to go GUE, but do read their literature because I find it to be very good. Consider getting yourself a copy of GUE's "Doing It Right: the Fundamentals of Better Diving". This discusses many aspects of diving and chapter 6 walks though equipment considerations in some detail.

You will note from the posts above and other threads that DIR is not universally applied, however, I am also looking to move into tech diving and found that the discussions were at least eye opening in terms of what to look for with respect to gear.

True. I don't disagree with quite a lot of the practices espoused by the DIR/GUE community. But I don't agree with all of them and I particularly dislike the prescriptive nature of their training.

Incidentally Andy, in "Metal (SS/Ali) backplates are very popular amongst the tech community. I am not aware that they are specifically proscribed by any training standards?" do you mean proscribed or prescribed?

I meant proscribed (prohibited) use of soft backplates. (sorry for the confusion...am sick at the moment).

I don't know of any agency that specifically prescribe metal backplates either...

GUE called for a solid metal plate, no plastic. That said, I have used my DSS Kydex plate in GUE classes, with a bit of eyebrow raising and some questions asked.

Peter, would you clarify what you mean by "prescriptive", that you don't like about GUE training? The only reason I ask is that, as far as I know, you have not taken any GUE training, and I would like to be sure that whatever it is that you don't like, it is really something they do. There are a lot of myths about their teaching.

I think the recommendation to take Fundamentals is a good one.
The GUE trained divers I've met and dove with had their $hit together. Whether or not you continued along their training path is up to you. But you would be off to a good start.

I am not GUE trained myself, my location is the reason.

I had previously planned to travel and take the course elsewhere, but my wife talked me into a dive trip to Chuuk and TDI Advanced Nitrox/Deco Procedures (available locally) instead.

Either way, consider Fundamentals as a start.

-Mitch

I thank you all for your recommendations. I will take an intro to tech course prior to gear considerations so I'm more knowledgeable in what I want in tech gear. I brought this up mainly because I know exactly what I like in rec gear, but it sure has made me purchase a lot of gear in the past 11 years I've been diving. I have owned over 20 regulators and only kept a handful. I was hoping to eliminate the spending, but guess that's part of the diving world. Trials and error until you find something that fits your diving and you.

Some of you brought up agencies. I am thinking about taking the same approach I’ve taken with my rec diving agencies. What I did was not decide on an agency, but an instructor regardless of what agency he was with. I've dived with many divers of different agencies and I never see a difference on the agency, just on how they were instructed. My original plan was to go talk to different instructors and ask them how they conduct their course, that’s what I’ve always done for rec courses...figured it would help me decide which instructor would teach the best. I'm always extremely hesitant of any instructor that tells me I can be qualified in a short time. My PADI Open water course was 3 weeks and the instructor remediated constantly to ensure we remembered the material. I remember thinking at the time that it was pointless, but later in my diving I was thankful because it was ingrained in my brain so I never forgot it.
One of the posts mentioned what my current gear is. I use different gear depending on the dive. If I’m on a shallow reef, I’ll usually use my Mares Dragon BCD, Scubapro G250 reg and whatever fins I have available. On deeper wreck dives I use the Zeagle Tech 10 BCD and Atomic Z2 with Scubapro Jets. I like jacket BCDs for shallow dives, but for all my deeper dives I use the back inflated mainly because I do penetrate the wreck, but never more than 30 or so feet into it so I’m not very experienced in it. Back inflated BCDs are more comfortable to me in those situations. I love my Atomic reg the most, hands down the best breathing reg I have. I have other regulators but I rarely use them, usually I lend them out to friends. Probably sell a lot of those to help pay for my tech gear.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom