Getting my own tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Marie13

Great Lakes Mermaid
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm planning on getting my own tanks next year (just 2). But I'm unsure what to get.

I dive dry and currently have to carry about 18-20 lbs of lead on top of a steel backplate. I have a Halcyon Infinity 40 (I won it so I'm trying out the 40lb wing when I would have preferred a 30) that I just recently got the weighted STA insert for, which will reduce the weight on my belt.

I'm also short, a wee bit under 5'5". A gal I'm friends with, slightly shorter than I am, has had good success with steel HP 80s. I've never hit the back of my head on the valve of AL 80s, unlike some other short women I know of.

Suggestions for tanks to consider? Thanks!

Do you dive at home? For colder water I would go with an HP100. You will use more air with a drysuit and likely be doing longer dives than someone in a wetsuit. The 100s are smaller than an aluminum 80.

HP 100s are a great all around tank for diving singles. 25% more gas than the 80s, similar weight on land.

Can be doubled, sidemounted, and has better resale value.

If you are concerned about height, look at LP95s which are a little stubbier.

Do you dive at home? For colder water I would go with an HP100. You will use more air with a drysuit and likely be doing longer dives than someone in a wetsuit. The 100s are smaller than an aluminum 80.

Yes, I dive at home. Regional quarries and the Great Lakes will be where I spend my underwater time. Planning both Lake Michigan and Lake Huron dives (wrecks) next year (I'm doing a trip to Thunder Bay/Alpena for 3 days of diving in late July).

Last edited:
HP100's are great tanks - more air than an AL80, shorter, around the same weight on land as an 80 but lets you take lead off in the water, results in better trim

HP 100s are a great all around tank for diving singles. 25% more gas than the 80s, similar weight on land.

Can be doubled, sidemounted, and has better resale value.

If you are concerned about height, look at LP95s which are a little stubbier.

Sidemount may be in my future (bad knees rule out doubles).

Also if you are thinking about needing doubles check out the hp117s the same size as the lp95s but more gas.

Also if you are thinking about needing doubles check out the hp117s the same size as the lp95s but more gas.
I also love my 117's, but the 100's might be better for her height.

HP100's are great tanks - more air than an AL80, shorter, around the same weight on land as an 80 but lets you take lead off in the water, results in better trim

OK, anything that lets me take some lead off is a good thing!

$319 each at DRIS for the HP 100. Something else to add to my list of gear to get. I have a Google Docs spreadsheet (borrowed the idea from a friend), so it's always accessible.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom