Getting my own tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree with the HP100 as a great all around tank. You will have the added advantage of being able to switch to the cheaper, lighter old steel 72's without changing your weighting and be carrying less weight overall, when you need less air for the dive.

Bob

My wife dives 8" 12L (HP100's) loves them. Indeed she managed to sell her 7.25 Longs to pick up another second hand set (Dubai is very transient so lots of used tanks on market - bad for my wallet as I can never resist them hence currently 10 cylinders each)

Anyway my wife is 5'6" and much prefers the shorter fatter tanks. We boat dive, and it's never an issue.

@Marie13 , hp100s are great tanks and weight similar on land to an al80 while being around 6 pounds more negative in the water. lp85s are also great tanks and are similar in size and weighting to the hp100s. If you're plan is to end up sidemount the lp85s may be a better choice. a lot of side mounters prefer the way those trim out compared to the hp100s tanks. Again thinking of where you may end up in the future, the hp80s are a poor choice in our locale for technical diving due to gas matching considerations.

Forgot to mention, IIRC DRIS has hp100s in their rental fleet

Good to know. I'm going to be in the pool working on some things after New Year's so I will see about getting a hp100. Thanks!

8lbs is what I take off my belt using my PST100 and the same with the Faber 100. So with my 5mm and my Zeagle ET BCD I would use 12lb with an AL80. With the 100 I would use 4lb. And with my SS BP/W I would use no weight at all. In my Fusion drysuit and the SS BP/W I add 4lb in the top cam band and I am golden.

Common AL80s are +4.4# when empty. PST HP100s are -1.5# when empty. So, your difference in weighting, between the two, should be 6#. If you're taking 8 off, then you're either too light with the 100 or too heavy with the 80. Or +/-1 # on each.

At least, that's what I think is the case. :)

Common AL80s are +4.4# when empty. PST HP100s are -1.5# when empty. So, your difference in weighting, between the two, should be 6#. If you're taking 8 off, then you're either too light with the 100 or too heavy with the 80. Or +/-1 # on each.

Agreed. I swing 6# on my belt between my Luxfor 80s and my PST 100s.

I'm still trying to get the whole plus/negative thing straight in my head. :wink:

I have a LP85 doubles set up and also a couple single LP85s. I'm just under 5'6" and they are the perfect size for me and not too heavy as doubles. Depending on the shop I can get an overfill, but even when I don't, there is plenty of gas for me. They are a nice option if you can find a good deal :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom