Getting my own tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm still trying to get the whole plus/negative thing straight in my head. :wink:

It's easy. ;-) If you have an empty AL80, it will take 4.4# of lead to make it neutral ('cause empty AL80s are pretty floaty at 4.4# of positive buoyancy). Then an additional 1.5# of lead to make it as negative as an empty PST HP100. So, 5.9# difference in lead required between the two.

Just think of the HP100 as an AL80 that holds more gas and has 6 # of extra metal in it to withstand the extra internal pressure when its full.

When you swap from an AL80 to an HP100, you take 6# of lead off your belt (or wherever) and you should have the same buoyancy when the tank is empty. But, the 100 holds more gas - about 2# more. So, at the START of the dive, instead of being 6# negative (with an AL80), you'll be 8# negative.

Being more negative at the start may feel weird. If you empty your BCD, you will head to the bottom more quickly than with an 80. But, what's important is to still be neutral, at the end, when your tank is almost empty. I dived with a friend who used an HP100 for the first time. She didn't like it because she "felt" too "heavy" at the start of the dive. Being a little more negative at the start meant it took a little more air in her BCD to be neutral. More air in her BCD meant it was slightly harder to control buoyancy at depth (which is the same reason why you always try to avoid being overweighted). The difference is small, but she was sensitive to it. She took lead off to achieve the same feeling that she was used to when starting a dive with an AL80. But, that meant she was too light at the end, with an almost empty tank.

Note, I was talking specifically about a PST HP100. Not all 100s have the same buoyancy characteristics. Some are way more negative. You can Google for scuba cylinder specifications and find charts with many different cylinders listed to see exactly what the specs are on whatever you are planning to use.

Common AL80s are +4.4# when empty. PST HP100s are -1.5# when empty. So, your difference in weighting, between the two, should be 6#. If you're taking 8 off, then you're either too light with the 100 or too heavy with the 80. Or +/-1 # on each.

At least, that's what I think is the case. :)

I evidently need 2lb less than I thought. :) I can hang for days at 500psi in 5mm PST 100 and SS BP/W..

Personally I would look for a set of the older PST HP 100's. I have a set of doubles of those and a pair of single HP 120 in the newer faber FX line and the buoyancy characteristics of the older PST's are better for me for cold water diving, but as always that is dependent on the divers needs.
Patience is key here. You aren't going to save a ton of money by owning your own tanks between VIP's, hydro's, but having consistent kit is a major plus in my opinion, and being able to go dive without having to rent tanks is a major plus. For me locally, it costs right at $7 for an air fill, or $10 to rent a tank, so I save $3 dollars. Just to make up the cost of 1 new steel tank you would have to do 100 dives. Multiply that by a pair of tanks (I would always buy in pairs) and you have to do 200 dives. That doesn't include paying for vip / hyrdo.

I evidently need 2lb less than I thought. :) I can hang for days at 500psi in 5mm PST 100 and SS BP/W..

If you can take even more weight off with your HP100, that is cool. Just remember, whatever you end up with, you should only need to add 6# when you switch to an AL80.

Just an odd question that occurred to me tonight while I was driving home.

When you side mount, I'm assuming inflator hoses for wing and dry suit come off the left tank?

I have never dived side mount, but I would expect wing to inflate from one tank and drysuit to inflate from the other. Like we do with back mount doubles.

I have never dived side mount, but I would expect wing to inflate from one tank and drysuit to inflate from the other. Like we do with back mount doubles.

So you've got hoses wrapping around your back then? I guess I'm coming at this from a single BM perspective - dry suit and wing inflator hoses are on the left so they come off the left side of first stage.

Back
Top Bottom