Getting my own tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The bottom of this page has an excellent summation of why I wouldn't buy LP tanks (unless it was a REALLY good deal on used ones).

www.divegearexpress.com/tanks

HP100s sound just about perfect for you. Especially if you can find a deal on used ones.

FX117, 1" shorter than FX100, similar buoyancy characteristics, 17% more air

Are you set on buying new tanks? You have to be patient but you can find used ones and save a chunk of change going that route (CL, eBay, SB). Took me almost a year but I found 4 in-hydro Worthington HP100s for my wife and I for $200 each.
In the mean time, I would suggest trying out as many different tanks as you can rent to see which you like. HP100s and LP85s are great but also try out some 8" tanks (LP95, HP130, etc) to see if those work for you - more gas but also extra weight and I've spoken to some divers who didn't like how they felt in the water.

I have a hard enough time schlepping AL80s around right now (although I'm building my strength by moderate weight work), so I don't want to go that much heavier.

As for used, I don't trust CL (too many weird experiences). I've gone through back listings (SB and a FB group) and it seems to be very rare to find decent used tanks in my area. Seems (at least that's my impression) most used tanks are in either FL or CA.

Why not LP 85's (that you might be able to get filled to 3000).

No cave fills available in Chicago unless you buy your own compressor.

You have to be patient but you can find used ones and save a chunk of change going that route (CL, eBay, SB). Took me almost a year but I found 4 in-hydro Worthington HP100s for my wife and I for $200 each.

The only cylinder I've bought new is an AL19. There are in fact deals to be had because people get out of diving for medical reasons or because they're moving. I've paid $200 each for my larger HP cylinders (HP100s and HP120s), and usually $25-$50 for smaller cylinders.

In the mean time, I would suggest trying out as many different tanks as you can rent to see which you like. HP100s and LP85s are great but also try out some 8" tanks (LP95, HP130, etc) to see if those work for you - more gas but also extra weight and I've spoken to some divers who didn't like how they felt in the water.

It's hard to rent steels, especially in the Midwest where there isn't as much diving.

8" cylinders don't fit in 7.25" racks, and there are still lots of boats that have 7.25" racks. I'm not sure how much boat diving you're contemplating, locally, but it might be a good idea to talk to your favorite operators and ask them how well they can accommodate 8" cylinders. Nearly all of them will let you bring them on board, but you may end up having to put them under the benches, and hang onto your kit once you've assembled everything, rather than leave it in the rack. It's a hassle, especially if it's rough.

I have a hard enough time schlepping AL80s around right now (although I'm building my strength by moderate weight work), so I don't want to go that much heavier.

I'm going to take this moment as the opportunity to say that regular weight training will improve anyone's diving life. The time you invest in the gym will pay you back in all kinds of ways. Your whole world gets lighter, cylinders, gear bag, groceries, everything. It's easier to get out of the water. You'll be safer.

As for used, I don't trust CL (too many weird experiences). I've gone through back listings (SB and a FB group) and it seems to be very rare to find decent used tanks in my area. Seems (at least that's my impression) most used tanks are in either FL or CA.

Most sizes of cylinder can be shipped from FL/CA to the Midwest for around $30 each, so that doesn't have to be a barrier. I've sold maybe 6 over the last year and shipped them out with nary a problem.

There's a Facebook buy/sell group that is probably the best source of used cylinders right now, if you're not a member and can't find it, send me a PM and I'll give you a link.

You will have to decide what tradeoff to make between weight (on land) and capacity. If you're thinking new cylinders, then HP80, HP100, and HP117 would be reasonable alternatives to consider with progressively more weight and capacity -- and all shorter than an AL80. HP100s weigh about the same as an AL80 so I would encourage you to start there given that AL80s work OK for you.

Any of the older LP cylinders will have a somewhat worse weight-for-capacity tradeoff, by a few pounds.

If you are going to buy new, call around to local shops. I know of one shop relatively close to me that sells tanks at cost to get people into the store. I know of another that matches the price of the tank in free fills (basically making the tank free) again, to get people into the store.

As for which ones, my wife is 4'10" and has a couple of steal 80 HP tanks that she loves. No more banging her head on the valve. Since you are a little taller steal 100 HP would be a great choice. Like others have said, about the same size as AL 80's but negatively buoyant. You should be able to loose 4-6 lbs lead.

If you are going to buy new, call around to local shops. I know of one shop relatively close to me that sells tanks at cost to get people into the store. I know of another that matches the price of the tank in free fills (basically making the tank free) again, to get people into the store.

As for which ones, my wife is 4'10" and has a couple of steal 80 HP tanks that she loves. No more banging her head on the valve. Since you are a little taller steal 100 HP would be a great choice. Like others have said, about the same size as AL 80's but negatively buoyant. You should be able to loose 4-6 lbs lead.

DRIS *is* my local shop. Best local prices I've found, plus I really doubt I'd be able to find anything besides AL80s at other local shops (who carry much narrower inventory range).

Great shop to have locally. If they were my local shop I am pretty sure my wife and I would already have drysuits. Great customer service and product knowledge. And that is based only from on like assistance.

I would go with HP100s. Hard to go wrong with them. They are very versatile tanks and will translate well if you decide to use them for sidemount.

~20cu/ft more gas than a AL80 in a smaller package and less lead your belt. The majority of shops have no issues doing high pressure 3500psi fills. Even with a short fill of 3000psi you're still looking at ~85cu of gas.

With that being said, there is nothing wrong with LP85s if you can get them at the right price. They are often cheaper than HP tanks. Still more gas than an AL80, less lead on your belt. The downside is outside of cave country and certain shops, you won't get an overfill / cavefill which is a practice where some shops will overfill a low pressure tank.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom