Getting my own tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just an odd question that occurred to me tonight while I was driving home.

When you side mount, I'm assuming inflator hoses for wing and dry suit come off the left tank?
Left side - second stage on bungee and power inflator
Right side - second stage on long hose and Drysuit inflator
No hoses around your back but the regulator hose do wrap the neck.

At least this is the setup as I was taught.

Last edited:
Not how I was taught.

Right post (diver's right) has LP inflator hose running across, behind my neck and over my left shoulder to wing inflator.

Left post has drysuit inflator hose running straight down and under my left arm,

With 1st stages that have a 5th LP port on the bottom, the hose routing works without any sharp 90 degree turns. The "bottom" of each 1st stage points across towards the opposite cylinder. I.e. The 1st stage on the left post has the bottom port pointing to the right with the alternate 2nd stage coming out of it on a short hose running around the divers neck on the right, to hang from a bungee necklace under he diver's chin.

Not how I was taught.

Right post (diver's right) has LP inflator hose running across, behind my neck and over my left shoulder to wing inflator.

Left post has drysuit inflator hose running straight down and under my left arm,

With 1st stages that have a 5th LP port on the bottom, the hose routing works without any sharp 90 degree turns. The "bottom" of each 1st stage points across towards the opposite cylinder. I.e. The 1st stage on the left post has the bottom port pointing to the right with the alternate 2nd stage coming out of it on a short hose running around the divers neck on the right, to hang from a bungee necklace under he diver's chin.
Sorry stuartv. I should have specificed sidemount set up with right and left tanks.

And I changed the quote to clarify as well.

I prefer double tank sidemount and just rotate my drysuit inflator to the right.

I would suggest that you start by figuring out how much gas you want for the local dives you'll be doing. Then rent or borrow different tanks around that size and see which ones you enjoy using the most.

As an example, my local diving is all pretty shallow and the place I dive the most has a long walk from the parking lot to the entry point. So my go-to tanks are LP72s. They weigh 27lbs on land and are neutral when empty. In fact I just sold my HP100 because I wasn't using it.

Tank size and shape is really a personal preference and definitely dive-specific. If you need 100cft of gas for your local diving, then sure a HP100 is going to be very useful, but if your dives are such that 80 cft is sufficient, you might find that you enjoy carrying (and diving with) smaller tanks.

Its all about choosing the best tank for your size and your gas needs. Bigger is definitely not necessarily better!

@Marie13

It can be confusing reading people's opinions on tank preference at first because many people recommend what works for their body size and height, amount of insulation, style of diving, locale, setup, etc. Take it all with a grain of salt.

Things like your body position in the water, trim, rig setup and fit, where the band's are with doubles or the straps with a single tank and how close or far they are from your back can greatly affect how it feels in the water.

Try a few different tanks out, make adjustments if needed, and ask questions to see what you prefer.

Forgot to mention, IIRC DRIS has hp100s in their rental fleet

I confirmed yesterday when I picked up my pony they do indeed have 4-6 HP100s in their rental fleet.

I was talking HP100s with an experienced diving buddy and was told to stay away from older HP100s. The newer (10 years old and newer) ones rated to 3442 psi are the ones I want. Something about older ones having a smaller neck opening/threading that requires a special valve. I was told the older ones are a PITA for inspections due to that smaller neck opening - and if I can't find used tanks born in the last 10 years I'd be better off buying new.

Last edited:
those are the Genesis tanks, I like them better, but it is harder to find the valves. They also are 300 bar so you would need a 300 bar din.

Marie,
I just noticed you posted in Arfcom. So you are now on both of my favorite forums. Based on your interests you need to move to Florida

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom