Good, non-flaky dive computer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Atticus Lake

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Are there any good, non-flaky dive computers out there for recreational divers? Hope that doesn't sound too cynical, but I've been through a bunch of them, and I'm wondering.

Oceanics looked good to me, so I got a GEO. Well, the battery life - even non-diving - was a few days, so I got it replaced. I have to give credit to Mike at Dive Right In Scuba for getting that sorted (I'd lost the receipt, and I didn't even buy it from him), and to Oceanic for turning it round pretty quickly. Since then, that computer has logged about 50 dives and over 6 months run time, and it's working great (except that the temp always reads about 4F too low).

Well, after trying the Geo, I wanted an AI computer, so I got an Atom 2 (from Mike this time!). After putting some dives on it it started going really wonky - like losing time, several minutes per day - so I got it fixed. Again, big help from Mike at DRIS, and Oceanic were pretty swift about turning it around.

So I arrived in Florida a couple of weeks ago for the big dive trip of the year, and after my first dive, it was stuck at 4' depth. Pretty soon it was telling me "For God's sake get to the surface!!!". After that it stayed that way and wouldn't do anything else - so basically useless.

Thankfully, Mike at DRIS was able to get Oceanic to drop-ship one to a local dive shop overnight, so I picked it up and left them the old one. Now my third Atom 2 has 21 dives on it, and it's fine - as far as I can see. Huge thanks to Mike for saving my trip!

So OK, when the Oceanics work, they're great, and I like them. But I gotta say my confidence is shaken. Oceanic have certainly stood by their product, and got me the replacements I need, but of course I'd rather just have a computer that keeps on working, so I don't have to worry whether it's tracking my depth and tank pressure correctly.

So have other people had similar experiences with Oceanics, or with other brands? Have I just been unlucky?

BTW, I'm planning on getting one of those mini-consoles to carry as a backup - seems like a good plan, for the deeper dives at least.

Nitec duo or tusa puck, pretty much the same computer. Either one will serve you pretty well.
2 gas nitrox.
Battery life is good (at least a year with heavy diving)
Only complaint is that the contacts which sense water/salinity? ....tend to corrode a little over time...just clean them and change the battery if it starts to behave badly (usually a depth jump when near the surface....but no danger, and easily fixed with above procedure)
Others may be better, but these haven't let me down, although I do dive with two of them for redundancy.

PS: These are also easy to run in gauge mode for technical diving.

I've owned a few different Suunto's and I haven't had any problems. Some of the watches don't have user replaceable batteries, so you're supposed to send them in to replace, meaning you may be without for a couple of weeks.

I have had two Aeris computers and one Oceanic. I have read that they are made by the same parent company which would explain the numerous similarities.

I like both brands!

........ and after my first dive, it was stuck at 4' depth. Pretty soon it was telling me "For God's sake get to the surface!!!". After that it stayed that way and wouldn't do anything else - so basically useless.
Are you sure you did not send the Atom 2.0 into some weird violation?

For your research, try out the Dive Computers Research Tool. So far there are 100 dive computers in the database and lots of them have videos too :wink:

Alberto (aka eDiver)

Are you sure you did not send the Atom 2.0 into some weird violation?

Pretty sure... max depth was about 20 feet, and it wasn't an incredibly long dive. In any case, violation or no, it shouldn't be telling me false depths. It certainly shouldn't be telling me that I'm under 4 feet of water when I'm sitting in my hotel room. (Unless the hotel has a flooding problem.)

For your research, try out the Dive Computers Research Tool.

That's handy, thanks! Interestingly, the only computer it shows meeting my criteria (wireless air, watch style, no compass) is the Atom 2....

Last edited:
I've had Oceanic computers since 2000 and could not be happier. I've had a Pro Plus, Pro Plus 2, and now a VT3. The VT3 is my favorite.

Good diving, Craig

ProPlus and now a VT3. Love them both, although the VT3 is going into the shop because a few pixels died on the screen. I dove it pretty hard the last year and a half, though. I haven't seen it in person, but that Atomic Cobalt looks really cool. Nice OLED display.

....That's handy, thanks! Interestingly, the only computer it shows meeting my criteria (wireless air, watch style, no compass) is the Atom 2....

Try again now ... you should see 3 dive computers

I dive an Oceanic Versa Pro and my wife uses an Aeris XR-1, both purchased used and no problems with either.

Battery life is just fine once I turned off the auto-activation, this just kept the units on too long after a dive and sucked the battery down fast. We activate them manually now when arriving at the dive site. I do soak them for awhile after diving in my camera rinse bucket (soft sided cooler), so that may have added to the auto-activation battery problem. Love the big readable displays on both units too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom