Gray Snapper

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Charlie99

Contributor
Reaction score
Silicon Valley, CA / New Bedford, MA / Kihei, Maui
# of dives
500 - 999
On 3 of my last 4 dives over the last week or so I have seen what I think are Gray Snappers. A couple of times out at Molokini, and then today on the 50' center reef at Polo.

Has anybody else been seeing them?

I'm pretty sure that they are not milkfish, and are definitely not jacks or barracudas. About 3' length, very distinctive dorsal fin that when displayed is both high and covers much of the length of the body (on only 1 of my 3 sighting did the fish raise their dorsal). Very flexible, twisting around easily. Black rimmed, deep V-fork tail, about twice the height of the body. Body color is gray or dark gray. Relatively big eyes, but they are definitely not Mu/BigEye Emperors. Just one fish. Sometimes in vicinity of Mu, sometimes around large surgeonfish. Very skittish and difficult to get a good photo.

I don't remember seeing this particular type of fish before the last couple of weeks, and am not 100% sure they are gray snappers.

Anybody else been seeing a sudden influx of them, or is it a case of them always being around and me just now noticing them?

I've been seeing them a little more than occasionally too. Usually by themselves out at 35-40 feet deep or so. You're right about the photo chances. You just can't get close to them can you!!?!

Are you talking about Aprion viriscens (common name evades me) or Alphareus furca (jobfish) perhaps? Both are gray and can be skittish.

Also could be Seriola sp. (Kahala). I thought I knew what these looked like but failed to ID one when it showed up without the black stripe on the head.

Finally, could be an influx of male Bodianus albotaeniatus (Hawaiian hogfish). The females are the yellow, white and black fish we see often, but the males tend to be much less common in the main 8.

A 3 foot gray snappper would be a HUGE one.

Keoki Stender seems to indicate only the time of year is uncommon...

Green Jobfish, Gray Snapper, Uku, Aprion virescens

marinelifephotography.com:
GREEN JOBFISH or GRAY SNAPPER UKU Ao-chibiki

Fairly common on sandy reefs from 25 to 300 feet, especially during summer. Fusiform body, large tapering head with groove ahead of eye. Gray with greenish yellow markings, dark dorsal fin membranes. Attains 40 inches and 37 pounds. Excellent eating with light moist flesh. Hawaii & the Indo-Pacific.​

Are you talking about Aprion viriscens (common name evades me) or Alphareus furca (jobfish) perhaps? Both are gray and can be skittish.
Common name for Aprion virscens is gray snapper, or sometimes green jobfish. That's what I'm pretty sure I've been seeing.
Also could be Seriola sp. (Kahala). I thought I knew what these looked like but failed to ID one when it showed up without the black stripe on the head.
Definitely not Seriola dumerili/Kahala/Amberjack. It was much more symmetrical top and bottom. That's why I eliminated jacks as a possibility.
Finally, could be an influx of male Bodianus albotaeniatus (Hawaiian hogfish). The females are the yellow, white and black fish we see often, but the males tend to be much less common in the main 8.
I'm familiar with the terminal phase of Hawaiian hogfish, and it definitely wasn't that, because of the hogfish tail and eyes are too small.

Thanks for giving me a few other possibilities to check out.

I just realized that I did get a usable photo on a Molokini dive a few weeks ago. In only about 30' of water, crater side of reefs end:

2reqonm.jpg
This particular specimen never raised his impressive dorsal, but you can see the thin black marking on top starting above the pec fin that corresponds to the dorsal I saw on a different one.

The pictured fish, IIRC, was about 2'.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom