GUE and UTD non-divers training question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My wife who finished her OW course with a UTD instructor never did any skills (pool or ocean) on her knees. There was a strong emphasis on everything done while neutral.

Just to clarify and make sure there are no missunderstandings, no GUE instructor will remove a student's mask during any training.

Fine point well taken. None was "removed" from my face. I volunteered it upon request. :D

that alone was good training. I'm not afraid of having no mask now.

in GUE, end up there, lose your mask. One learns in a hurry. :blinking:

Don't mean to nitpick, but are you sure you're GUE trained? The statement above is in direct violation of GUE policies, and the gear configuration in your profile pic has some discrepancies.

Don't mean to nitpick, but are you sure you're GUE trained? The statement above is in direct violation of GUE policies, and the gear configuration in your profile pic has some discrepancies.

Oh yes, the mask was gone more than once in fundies.

Yes, that picture shows I have a lot of discrepencies. When it was posted on FB I knew I'd take chit for it.

Ah man...we're not going to be Rule 6'ing people now are we?

"You want to buddy with me? Sorry bro. You seem like a competent, safe and team oriented diver....but I just can't be seen with you." :D

Oh yes, the mask was gone more than once in fundies.

That is quite surprising considering that the only time the class requires anything be done maskless is the maskless swim. There is no actual need in a Fundamentals class to require you to remove your mask. Most students are busy enough........

Further, all water skills in the GUE OW program will be/are done in the horizontal position. If you drop your knees to the bottom of the pool or the sand or whatever, your instructor will point this out for you to correct it at the time. Your instructor will most definitely not be kneeling on the bottom......... It is very interesting that it doesn't take very long for someone who is taught to maintain horizontal trim from day one to continue this, particularly if their instructor sets the standard. Primacy and all that.... On the flip side, let them rest their knees on the bottom just once and you have a fair bit of correcting to do.

Ah man...we're not going to be Rule 6'ing people now are we?

"You want to buddy with me? Sorry bro. You seem like a competent, safe and team oriented diver....but I just can't be seen with you."

I would suggest that an unclipped long hose, a shoulder clipped SPG, and an unstowed light cord are more than rule six violations......:wink: but everybody has those kind of days. I just try to delete the photos.....:D

I'm not complaining one bit. The training was my first exposure to "real" dive training. I enjoyed every moment of it even if I sucked big time.

I didn't know what the standards were, didn't need to know, I just wanted to be a better diver and it certainly taught me that. My first exposure to gas planning was Fundamentals as well, something that should be taught in every dive class if you ask me.

That is quite surprising considering that the only time the class requires anything be done maskless is the maskless swim. There is no actual need in a Fundamentals class to require you to remove your mask. Most students are busy enough........

Further, all water skills in the GUE OW program will be/are done in the horizontal position. If you drop your knees to the bottom of the pool or the sand or whatever, your instructor will point this out for you to correct it at the time. Your instructor will most definitely not be kneeling on the bottom......... It is very interesting that it doesn't take very long for someone who is taught to maintain horizontal trim from day one to continue this, particularly if their instructor sets the standard. Primacy and all that.... On the flip side, let them rest their knees on the bottom just once and you have a fair bit of correcting to do.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom