GUE and UTD non-divers training question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm not complaining one bit. The training was my first exposure to "real" dive training. I enjoyed every moment of it even if I sucked big time.

I didn't know what the standards were, didn't need to know, I just wanted to be a better diver and it certainly taught me that. My first exposure to gas planning was Fundamentals as well, something that should be taught in every dive class if you ask me.

And people like you make the absolute best students for those reasons.

Betcha you don't "suck big time" anymore.........Good job.

The only reason I said anything about the maskless stuff was because too many people get the wrong idea from what they read on the internet. Then some people elect not to pursue GUE training because they heard they were going to have their masks ripped off.

best,

Guy

Ah man...we're not going to be Rule 6'ing people now are we?

"You want to buddy with me? Sorry bro. You seem like a competent, safe and team oriented diver....but I just can't be seen with you." :D

See response below

I would suggest that an unclipped long hose, a shoulder clipped SPG, and an unstowed light cord are more than rule six violations......:wink: but everybody has those kind of days. I just try to delete the photos.....:D

This is what I was getting at - I don't know about other GUE instructors, but Gombessa you know yours wouldn't have let that slide. :D

This is a cut/paste right out of the GUE Standards Version 5.0 PDF:

"Mask removal is restricted to confined water; under such training conditions, only the trainees
themselves are allowed to remove their masks
, at the prompting of their instructor"

"Mask removal is restricted to confined water; under such training conditions, only the trainees

Are these the standards for Rec1? I know in Fundies, we did mask removals for Basic 5 in both confined and OW, and also did a no-mask swim in OW.

Those are for Fundies - We did mask removal / replace too. But that's a far cry from having to surrender your mask for touching down.

OK, I'll fess up, full disclosure. I got a provisional pass, and I'd say my diving is 100% better since the class.

Now I want to take Fundies again, only in doubles for a tech pass. I've got my heart set on Tech1. Many of my friends have passed Tech1, and if they can do it, I know I can, too.

I think everyone should take Fundamentals even if they never want to dive with a back plate and wing again. It's an eye opener and it was the first class where I learned something, a lot, about diving.

After finishing my PADI Advanced Open Water, I new I didn't know how to get back to the boat with 500PSI in my tanks. They ( instructors ) said I'd get a feel for it with more experience.

As one of my first "real" dives I dove the St. Lawrence River. One wreck was 97 feet to the bottom, and I was really concerned about getting back to the anchor line and have enough air to get back to the boat. It worried me the entire dive. Needless to say, I didn't spend long on the wreck because I was going to make damn sure I had plenty of air. I had no idea how to figure out how much I'd really need.

In Fundamentals, I learned how to make those simple calculations about gas planning, when to turn the dive, keeping enough air for my team member ( dive buddy in other circles ) so we can both get back to the boat safely with a safe amount of air in reserve.

I can't tell you right now of the other things I learned but, it was quite a bit.

Now about the mask, I'm sure that if I was really uncomfortable giving it up, I wouldn't have had to. It wasn't forced. It was really good experience, however.

There weren't really any skills in which we would have been on our knees anyway, except for the air share and maybe a valve drill. We spent a lot of time getting trim, buoyancy, and fin kicks squared away.

And people like you make the absolute best students for those reasons.

Betcha you don't "suck big time" anymore.........Good job.

The only reason I said anything about the maskless stuff was because too many people get the wrong idea from what they read on the internet. Then some people elect not to pursue GUE training because they heard they were going to have their masks ripped off.

best,

Guy

This is what I was getting at - I don't know about other GUE instructors, but Gombessa you know yours wouldn't have let that slide. :D

Oh, I've been busted for way less than that (we called our fundies instructor the "All Seeing Eye"). But there are probably a dozen videos and pictures of me floating around with FUBAR'd kit (and some real keepers like booger-on-face). I've given up trying to look good in pictures, I swear the camera lens grows arms and clips your SPG to a tree branch right before the shot :D

yeah, we didn't violate that at all if you ask me. No one removed our masks but us.

Oh, I've been busted for way less than that (we called our fundies instructor the "All Seeing Eye"). But there are probably a dozen videos and pictures of me floating around with FUBAR'd kit (and some real keepers like booger-on-face). I've given up trying to look good in pictures, I swear the camera lens grows arms and clips your SPG to a tree branch right before the shot :D

I hated the cam guy. :wink: I thought I was a little better in the water than I really was.. the camera doesn't lie.

There is nothing better for self improvement than to see yourself on video. You learn an awful lot about yourself and how you dive by watching yourself on video.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom