GUE and UTD non-divers training question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

the standards have evolved over time.

My understanding is that part of it is/was standards and part of it was the instructor doing the teaching. (Not speaking to any specific instructor/s) Standards are only useful if they are followed and I think it is safe to say that as GUE has evolved this aspect has been the focus of more attention. Today there is a great deal of attention placed on ensuring that all the instructors are on the same page with the standards and it is still a difficult job with only 70 instructors at various locations around the world. I can speak from experience when I say that this is covered quite thoroughly in the ITC and continually emphasized by instructor trainers throughout your teaching internships. GUE has also taken several steps to further unify the instructor cadre in regards to ongoing instructor certification. The future looks bright!:D

Randy - I hope I didn't come off the wrong way, It was late and I don't think I was articulating my thoughts effectively. I wasn't knocking your gear, you, or your diving - please don't take it that way.

From my VERY limited experience with my own GUE training, certain things were gospel; mainly your primary is either clipped off, or in your mouth - period, non-negotiable, and I had to be told on more than one occasion because I had a bad habit of leaving it dangling around my neck.

Before we ever splashed on our first training dive we literally spent ~ 2 hours tweaking gear and configurations to be perfect, down to what side the bolt snap was tied on the light head, and the fashion of knot used. It was very prescriptive, but each prescription made perfect sense when explained why it was done that way.

So when I see images of other DIR divers, with a dangling primary, or other oddities it just seems odd to me. I'm not doubting you, or harassing you, it just looked strange to me is all. :)

vioch:
Question is - are students taught on knees or is it AVOIDED AT ALL by using any different method of teaching?

The beauty about Rec 1 is that the perspective is different. Instead of "avoided," it's "not taught."

What prompted the question?

Randy,

In defense of Anti-hero, I will tell you this. Casey is an extremely cautious and safe diver, and he extends his knowledge to new divers like myself.

I got the chance to dive with him not to long ago at Pt Lobos in Carmel, CA. From the moment we met up, he covered all our plans both predive and postdive before we ever touched water, what did that mean?

To me it meant he cared for my safety as he was probably taught from his instructors. That is the type of diver I want to be around, and I have experience diving with lots of instant buddies.

I have learned the dangers in doing it wrong and can only thank all divers that have chimmed in, and voiced their opinion to my questions or mishaps in diving.

Anti-hero is in my opinion a very vigilant, caring diver that I personally will hope to dive with in the future.

Sometimes not placing faces to people make this internet world seem distant and cold in our answers to better safe diviing.

Just my 2cents... :)

MG

I hated the cam guy. :wink: I thought I was a little better in the water than I really was.. the camera doesn't lie.

There is nothing better for self improvement than to see yourself on video. You learn an awful lot about yourself and how you dive by watching yourself on video.

Ain't that the truth ... Just finished Fundies with Bob Sherwood yesterday. Provisional with only the swim and breath hold swim remaining :D

While the video review sessions were sometimes painful - they were also extremely helpful in understanding how the critique Bob were giving us could/should be implemented in the water.

Video reviews were fortunately also sometimes hilariously funny and helped ease tension and frustration. Extremely helpful in many ways.

Henrik

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom