DIR- GUE GUE-approved reel that's not Halcyon?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SaltyWombat

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I heard (or misheard?) that GUE only approves of a few reels. I want to get one now for a mapping project, but plan to use it for Cave 1 in the future. I have not thought about a cave instructor yet, so I can't ask one. So I turn to Scubaboard.

Which non-Halcyon reels are approved? I want to look for affordable alternatives.

I'm curious what is an example of a reel GUE would not approve of. Oh, my primary reel is Halcyon, and Light Monkey makes one that looks extremely similar. What features would GUE not approve of? What about the Dive Rite "Classic"? (I didn't care for the Classic when I tried one, but just askin'.)

DR classic is a particularly poor design. The Ralph hood reels aren’t reallY DIR. Kent tooling. Those Manta reels.

Metal to metal connections and gaps between the spool and the frame both cause problems. Also, designs like the DR classic make it tough to use a Goodman light at the same time.

The Manta comes to mind as the "least" DIR reel.

If you brought a halcyon, light monkey to Cave1 you'd be allowed to use those as the basic palm-light-reel-thumb motions are identical. Hollis and DR also make reels with this design and you'd 99% be allowed to use it in class. Possibly a Ralph hood (75%).

The top handle styles, DR classic, manta would be held up as a suboptimal example and the instructor would probably loan you a H or LM reel to complete the course with.

Light Monkey.

Also check eBay for used ones.

Would be cool to find used ones on there but I have never been able to find one.

Going to follow this thread... I'd like to learn about this also. What about this one... On sale here and I've thought about buying. Is this GUE/DIR approved?

1648604993473.png

Looks really similar to the Halcyon Pathfinder reel.

Would be cool to find used ones on there but I have never been able to find one.

The gear exchange on Cavediver.net is a good place to watch as well.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom