DIR- GUE GUE-approved reel that's not Halcyon?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@grantctobin Oh, that's right. Salvo kind of turned into LM. Thanks.

What do people think about the divesoft one? I like the changable reel size as for caves I really don't need much for what I do. But for lining wrecks I need to return to the shot for or project work the full size would be useful. It wouldn't be very DIR to carry 3 times the line I need in a cave...and I can't afford/stomach two sizes of reels.

Effectively indistinguishable from the LM one. Would not have issues.
I think the only real difference is the LM handle is delrin vs aluminum for the halcyon.

Not sure if one is better than the other though.

I think the only real difference is the LM handle is delrin vs aluminum for the halcyon.

Not sure if one is better than the other though.
Agree, referencing the salvo pictured above vs LM. Iirc the Halcyon has a shear through the end of the threads of the bolt such that you can't fully unscrew it.

What do people think about the divesoft one? I like the changable reel size as for caves I really don't need much for what I do. But for lining wrecks I need to return to the shot for or project work the full size would be useful. It wouldn't be very DIR to carry 3 times the line I need in a cave...and I can't afford/stomach two sizes of reels.

It isn't really something you can just change easily, you have to remove all the line to change the size.

I would just get two reels. You cave dive enough and you will have a reel and spool collection.

I have several divesoft reels. I can't image they would not be allowed, they are consistent with halcyon and LM reels.

Although it's a complete PITA to change the spool size. Just buy different size reels for different projects. The "400ft" size is the standard Cave1 size which works fine for wrecks.

Salvo......that is a thread all unto its own......NOT DIR APPROVED....(but not because its a bad reel...)
Lol let it goooo

Salvo......that is a thread all unto its own......NOT DIR APPROVED....(but not because its a bad reel...)

Lol let it goooo

Ok, I’ll bite since I don’t know the history. Why?

Ok, I’ll bite since I don’t know the history. Why?
The owner of Salvo was originally a Halcyon employee. He stole a bunch of stuff and denied it.

After he lost the court battle over these materials, he took all bank accounts, payroll, etc of Salvo and fled the country. Leaving Cory and the other Salvo employees holding the bag.

Light Monkey was formed as a new company by the former employees of Salvo.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom