GUE/DIR/WKPP vs the world?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't care about the WKPP, I care about where I can dive.

Your entire contribution to this thread shows that you can't move past the '90s.

Funny. You wonder why there are state closures...then you decide you don't want to know the history of WHY.

Lots of luck finding your way in the future.

No worries, there's precidence elsewhere within the state :)

I am an outsider to the caving community.

To me, this thread is about one group claiming that there is one right way to do things, and the other claiming that there is more than one correct way.

Example: diving in restricted sites. One group is saying that only "brand X" is properly trained to dive "site alpha". The other is stating that "brands Y and Z" are suitably trained to have fun in "site alpha" with both the divers and the site remaining safe.

To me it is all about "brand X" wanting to convince themselves that they are right by convincing others that they are right by convincing everyone to join "brand X" or otherwise adopt their practices. This reinforces "brand X's" belief in their supremacy.

Want to see a practical application of such an idea in more concrete terms? Post on SB that you dive 5 times per year, always in warm water, and you want advice on what kind of BC to buy. For everyone who tells you to buy a certain brand of BC you will have a person telling you to buy a BP&W. Someone who does five drift dives in Coz every year does not need a BP&W, but BP&W devotees who have found that this is the best system for them will try to convince everyone else that it is the best system for them as well. It is all about reassuring yourself of the supremacy of your own choices.

You don't have to be GUE trained to participate in the WKPP, either.

That's not my point. My point is anyone with the proper training can dive Cow, Cathedral, School, Alachua, after joining the NSS-CDS. To join the WKPP, you either need to be C2 and Trimix or have a sponsor. And I'm willing to bet even if you're C2 and Trimix you still need a recommendation.

its not braging if it it's true just fact. and the fact is GUE has a great skill set and history in the cave community that being said there not the only one but some people need saving from themselves like the gentelman in vortex if he is in there( dought it) or divers with very limited experience taking on the NEST . so some site need closer supervision. because darwin has a c card

I really thought the arrogance of the 90's had changed. It's not quite the aquanaut mailing list but the "I know what is better for you" attitude has sure raised its ugly head here. Too bad it seems to just be more subdued on these forums, at least, until this thread. I was truly amazed after reading posts by those on the "inside". Arrogance is the reason the cult-like mentality will not go away. Too bad because there has been a lot of good done through WKPP and GUE.

BTW it's doubt, not "dought", "there" should be they're, "gentelman"(gentleman). Just saying........:I guess its the glass house and rock thing. coffee:

I really thought the arrogance of the 90's had changed. It's not quite the aquanaut mailing list but the "I know what is better for you" attitude has sure raised its ugly head here. Too bad it seems to just be more subdued on these forums, at least, until this thread. I was truly amazed after reading posts by those on the "inside". Arrogance is the reason the cult-like mentality will not go away. Too bad because there has been a lot of good done through WKPP and GUE.

BTW it's doubt, not "dought", "there" should be they're, "gentelman"(gentleman). Just saying........:I guess its the glass house and rock thing. coffee:

You want to imagine this as "arrogance"..... For you to be able to make such a claim, you would have to have vastly superior knowledge...so who is arrogant ?

Not me!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom